Author Topic: Trouble Installing Firewall Pad Retainer Pins--How Did Ford Do It?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I'm having trouble correctly reinstalling the firewall pad retainer clips on my '66 Dearborn fastback.  Even after fiddling with it most of the afternoon, I still don't have all of them locked in place.  I'm having trouble pushing the pins hard enough to make them lock in.  I got three out of the clips locked in, and getting them seated enough to lock took two people: one of us pushing on the head of the clip from inside the car, and one lightly gripping the protruding end of the clip on the firewall side with vise grips and pulling.  Even then, it seemed to take way too much effort to install these things.  How in the world did Ford do it originally?  Is there something simple I'm overlooking or missing?

Also, after messing with the fastback at work today, I came home and looked at my '66 coupe.  It's a mostly original car my dad bought with 22k miles in 1968, and I know the firewall pad has never been out of the car.  The clips on the coupe didn't seem to protrude out as far through the firewall, but the clips were still solidly locked in place.

I'm using the clips pictured here, except mine are the originals.

Am I correct in thinking that the two "tangs" on the clips should protrude through to the engine side of the firewall to lock the clip in place?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Trouble Installing Firewall Pad Retainer Pins--How Did Ford Do It?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »

FYI, There were two types originally used.

Both my Dearborn '65 and '66 Convertibles used the Jaw type ones pictured below.  Lucky for you, They are reproed.  Buy those instead.  Problem solved.   Dennis Carpenter sells them, or you can get them from NPD.  I think a total of 7 are used, but I would get one extra just in case..  I would remove the 3 ones that you have already installed, and replace them with these.  The beauty of the ones below is that they lock in early and don't have to stress the firewall pad...and they're original!!  Had this discussion awhile back on another forum (VMF) years ago.

Happy Mustanging!

Tony K.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:53:17 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
Tony, thanks for the help.  I believe that the shorter, saw-tooth style clip is what my Metuchen '66 has.  I was finally able to get the original style installed on the fastback, though they are extremely tough.

I wonder if Ford had a machine putting these in?  Can't imagine they'd have much time to mess with these clips on the assembly line.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
I just a rubber mallet to install them.  Couple good pops and then go in fine.  Have to make sure you hit them straight on or can bend the head.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
I just a rubber mallet to install them.  Couple good pops and then go in fine.  Have to make sure you hit them straight on or can bend the head.

That's what I was doing also.  The ones I had trouble with were the ones in either upper corner--it's hard to get a good direct hit since there's hardly any space to swing a hammer.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
This is usually one of the first parts I install on a bare car, so clearance is usually not an issue.  If you're installing in an assembled car, can definitely understand it would be hard to pop them with a hammer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
I had brave ideas of being able to install the firewall pad without taking everything back apart, but there's just no way. You're right that it needs to be a bare car to install correctly; everything else literally builds around the firewall pad.