Author Topic: Tie down brackets painted?  (Read 6559 times)

Offline astat1

Tie down brackets painted?
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
On Perkins low mileage B302, mention is made of the tie downs having primer and body color overspray.

"a shipping down tie-down hook which, like the rest of the floorpan, is to be painted primer with body color overspray"

page 55
Mustang Monthly  12/1989

I was under the assumption they were natural. If placed prior to painting, a bare steel outline would be visible on all frame rails once the tie downs were removed.. Thanks

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: Tie down brackets painted?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:06:18 AM »
I don't have the article, but I can assure you if there is a picture the brackets are bare steel as well as mounting hardware natural finish. Dearborn & Metuchen plants did not have painted brackets. Sounds like the editor was ad libbing text for a picture? That was before E-Mail. I know to this Day I get heat for Jeff Tann(1989) making the comment all floor pans were red oxide because the one in pictures was red.The Boss 429 he shot the same day had gray , however they all had red in the first article. Digital cameras and fax ect. make it easier to get text correct the first time.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »
Found the article. The editor is referring to the rear tie down marks on the frame left from assembly line skids. It reads: visible at the rear of the car is another tie down spot on the unibody frame rail. Next to it is a shipping tie down hook which, like the rest of the floor pan is to be painted primer with body color overspray. The picture is very clear. Bare metal tie down hook, phoshate and oil finish on tie-down hardware, bare galvinized frame rail, primer and body color overspray on rear frame rail around the assembly line skid tie down marks on the rear frame rails. Unfortunately the wording is confusing at best. Too bad all the pics were not color.  :(

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
Magazine article authors make mistakes all the time on those detail oriented stories it seems. Some more then others. It makes it time consuming and aggravating for the quoted source having to unravel the truth as it must be in this case for Bob. I always take what they say with a grain of salt . I have learned not to immediately assume the info came from the quoted author as the magazine article implies in a mistake situation. Everytime I see one of those misquoted detail articles from various sources or ones with mistakes in the example picture I think ahead to all the restorations that will take the info as gospel and will end up looking that way or using the misquoted advice at shows in the future ::).   Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »
yeah, reminds me of the trunk hinge bolt fiasco a few years back.  not sure how many times i had to deduct points after that article came out. i still see a few now & then.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
yeah, reminds me of the trunk hinge bolt fiasco a few years back.  not sure how many times i had to deduct points after that article came out. i still see a few now & then.

Yep, just like my recent mis-quote about door hinge bolts.  :(
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:24 PM »
For others reading this thread now and in the future - the finish of the tie downs (though the original question concerned 70 Boss 302's) depends on the plant and year. They could be bare steel or semi-gloss black
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Does anyone reproduce the tie down brackets and hardware for them?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
Does anyone reproduce the tie down brackets and hardware for them?

For early cars - I don't believe anyone is making them.

As far as mounting bolts and such I believe AMK may have those - might not be the exact head markings for the early cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »

For early cars - I don't believe anyone is making them.

As far as mounting bolts and such I believe AMK may have those - might not be the exact head markings for the early cars
+1 .  Here is a picture of the early San Jose style. The ones being reproduced have the squared off upper corners when compare to the rounded corners in the picture.That is correct for a later Detroit built car. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »
Thanks Guys for the info & pic!

I have heard over the years that Ford "recycled" "most" of the brackets by having the dealers remove them during new-car prep and sending them back to the factory for re-use-is there any truth to this?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:52:05 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »
+1 .  Here is a picture of the early San Jose style. The ones being reproduced have the squared off upper corners when compare to the rounded corners in the picture.That is correct for a later Detroit built car. Bob

How early at San Jose are we talking here?  Not sure if you realize, but the ends are also different, not just the rounded off top edges.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Thanks Guys for the info & pic!

I have heard over the years that Ford "recycled" "most" of the brackets by having the dealers remove them during new-car prep and sending them back to the factory for re-use-is there any truth to this?

Would really doubt that you could state that "most" were removed and returned but that was the plan (like removing the heater shields on 67-70 BBs and other items) 

Have seen allot of them left on the car (sometimes caused owners and and service department grief later) but believe it was a some did - some didn't sort of thing.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
How about the tie down(s) on a 67 Dec 66 SJ 289-2v single exhaust?

1. One or two tie downs? I had only one on mine, pass side, pictured below
2. On car when primed, or installed after?
3. Final finish of tie down?
4. Plating/finish of bolts, washers, nuts, also pictured below.  I noticed that the nuts have 3 sides with square indentations, same manufacturer I suppose as what I found on the nuts used on the outer tie rod sleeve clamps.  These 3 square indentation nuts were found only in these two applications.

Thanks, John

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
How about the tie down(s) on a 67 Dec 66 SJ 289-2v single exhaust?

1. One or two tie downs? I had only one on mine, pass side, pictured below

Two originally. If left in place they often caused a rattle or hum from the exhaust pipe - possibly the reason one of yours was removed

2. On car when primed, or installed after?

After primer and paint - no overspray on them

3. Final finish of tie down?

For your specific application - semi-gloss black

4. Plating/finish of bolts, washers, nuts, also pictured below.  I noticed that the nuts have 3 sides with square indentations, same manufacturer I suppose as what I found on the nuts used on the outer tie rod sleeve clamps.  These 3 square indentation nuts were found only in these two applications.

I've used a gun bluing wash or a light phosphate.  Yes have seen the lock nuts being used on the cross bolts don't know if they were from the same supplier our just what was specified by Ford from the subs
Jeff Speegle