Author Topic: Rear Tie Down Brackets  (Read 30994 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Tie Down Brackets
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
Actually that is an interesting thought.  If these were really returned from the dealers and reused it makes it harder to say that a certain style was only used at a certain plant.  It would mix up the pot....
Maybe truer as the time line got older but not initially IMO. The confusing part is that I have not come across the square corner on a Dearborn car before. If it was consistent logically it would seem that a mixer would be seen on Dearborn cars too , The square corner types seem to be in the minority as tie down brackets go. I see probably 4 of the rounded corner to every one of the square corner. Sorry I have only been looking at the duel exhaust ones. Maybe someone else has some insight.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:32:41 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Pics of passenger side bracket on what's left of 5F09K327203.  Looks to be a Nov - Dec 64 scheduled build date from date stamps.  No drivers side bracket left.  Would've had dual exhaust originally.

'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 03:17:20 AM »
Hi Marcus,

Here are pics from my '70 Cougar - Dearborn - Oct 6th, '69 build date - 428SCJ/4spd - dual exhaust.

Right side inner

Left side inner

Left side outer

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:17:37 AM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 03:26:44 AM »
Hi Marcus,

Here are pics from my '70 Cougar - Dearborn - Oct 6th, '69 build date - dual exhaust.

Right side

Left side inner

Left side outer

Odd that the single exhaust brackets were used on your Cougar or did all Cougars use the shorter typically single exhaust type bracket?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

Its my understanding that the Cougar's generally could have used the shorter style brackets unlike the Mustang's.  I will probably add some information on the Cougars as well in what I am working on. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline specialed

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
mark looks to me like your hooks are only black at bottom & match the paint line of the added long shackles. you would be better off looking at the metal protected area between hook & frame rail that hasn't been exposed to the elements after all these years.   marcus remember cougars have different rear frame rails & exhaust & hangers setup than mustangs & I have only seen the short hooks on cougars.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »
Ok you asked.

This is going to take a while - just the ones I already had in a separate file folder for tie downs Computer shows there are about 70 examples just in that section. Not sure how many you want but here goes

5F07K261xxx  - Easy to see these have been off so the finish is not original

6R09K18-19xxxx

6R07C230xxx

6R09K17xxxx

6R09K164xxx

6R09T197xxx

6R09T1973xx

6R09K17xxxx

Sure there are more if I went through all the files included the non-labeled/processed bunch.

Can't say I've seen may that didn't fit the expected pattern especially on the earlier cars unless the car was a "restored" car. Then there have been many examples - especially on back east cars on the west coast or western cars built on the eastern side of the country as one might expect.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:20:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 11:15:46 PM »
Comment: Of course the finish on some of these can not be determined IMHO given the condition. Since, especially in the early years (disreguarding the small number of Dearborn 64 1/2's prior to the other plants opening) few cars were delivered far outside the region of the original plant the few brackets that were returned most likely made their way back to the original plants. Later special models that were not built at all plants likely added some odd ball brackets back to different plants but IMHO the number would be very small and finding those cars with them after all these years might be similar in numbers to the other non-typical things we find in other areas of these cars. Would be a subject for discussion only if the brackets were found to be different and were original to that particular car. Would think that focusing on these production differences may only tempt owners into added the unusual in an attempt to stand out. we've all heard those claims ..... "it was possible""   ::) Just my two cents based on what I've seen done over the years :)

++++++++++++++
67's - this time just San Jose and a single year. Again sure there are more

7R01A153xxx

7R02C165xxx

7R02C137xxx

7R01C197xxx

7R02C165xxx

7R02K112xxx

7R02S174xxx

7R02S192xxx

7R02S1742xx

7R03C155xxx

7R03C188xxx

7R03C1550xx

7R03C1883xx

That's the last for tonight
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:35 AM »
Lots of good pictures - thanks everyone.  Do we have any 71-73 experts?  I have heard in that era that possibly some cars had both the long and the short brackets on a single exhaust cars.  Would be interesting to have some examples of that. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline specialed

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
marcus make sure point out that the hooks were originally installed on the INSIDE of frame rails. Look at jeff s first pic (the orange primer long hook) & its bolted on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail.  They will bolt on both ways & over the years I have seen many installed backwards & when car owner says that's the way they should be I simply point to the big white tow hook decal drawing on rear valance & it clearly shows hooks on the inside frame rail.    Also I have seen another long rounded corners version that I think are mid 70s type as a guy who had some of them said they came off a Granada or something. I have seen these installed by restorers & sold at swap meets but never seen that type installed on a vintage mustang from the factory.  They look like the rounded corner Dearborn dual exhaust style but don't hang down as far & hook hole is more straight down & not pointed toward rear of car like the correct version.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
marcus make sure point out that the hooks were originally installed on the INSIDE of frame rails. Look at jeff s first pic (the orange primer long hook) & its bolted on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail.  They will bolt on both ways & over the years I have seen many installed backwards & when car owner says that's the way they should be I simply point to the big white tow hook decal drawing on rear valance & it clearly shows hooks on the inside frame rail.............

That was not a "tow truck hook" in the rear decal but instructions for rail and car transport shipping

But yes you are very correct, as I mentioned, that first 65 example has been off, refinished and reinstalled all incorrectly
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
 where does the "truck" come from in my post?  :)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
A previous thread - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8515.msg49730#msg49730
Keep this in mind. The tie down brackets were used on all Fords (the big stuff probable had big brackets) and some were east to get off,  some were not and some were ignored. They came from all plants to all dealers for every model and were sent back to the assembly plant, probably the nearest. So the San Jose assembly plant would get Kansas used brackets because local San Jose area dealers sold cars made in Kansas.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:37 PM »
A previous thread - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8515.msg49730#msg49730
Keep this in mind. The tie down brackets were used on all Fords (the big stuff probable had big brackets) and some were east to get off,  some were not and some were ignored. They came from all plants to all dealers for every model and were sent back to the assembly plant, probably the nearest. So the San Jose assembly plant would get Kansas used brackets because local San Jose area dealers sold cars made in Kansas.
Jim

?????
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
where does the "truck" come from in my post?  :)

Opps!!
Magically :)   

...................They came from all plants to all dealers for every model and were sent back to the assembly plant, probably the nearest. So the San Jose assembly plant would get Kansas used brackets because local San Jose area dealers sold cars made in Kansas.

But would a Kansas built Big Ford tie down be the same (fit or be used) on a Mustang?

Don't think they are the same so those would have been shipped back to other big Ford plants since they could not be used at the others. Not even sure all Fords used tie downs at the rear
Jeff Speegle