Author Topic: Decoding Date Codes on Original Tires  (Read 11813 times)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: Decoding Date Codes on Original Tires
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »
 I think the chart is a little misleading? For 1969 only letters J & U were used and letters L & T were used in 1968. I checked 23 F60's tonight and they were all J & U. The chart makes one think the letters could overlap if interpreted J thru U. Make sense?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
I think the chart is a little misleading? For 1969 only letters J & U were used and letters L & T were used in 1968. I checked 23 F60's tonight and they were all J & U. The chart makes one think the letters could overlap if interpreted J thru U. Make sense?
That is correct. I think he's thinking the chart means J through U and L through T. It is like Bob stated only J and U for 69 and L and T for 68. The chart does match what I have on paper (and in my head ;^) on the stuff through 72ish. They later added those TIC codes which I remember using but don't remember too much about. See even back then as a teenager I knew which cars would be classics :^ )
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
So yes....that makes alot more sense now. 
So the only related question I have is in terms of the production of these "no size" Goodyear tires.  I think Ford stopped using the no size tires on Mustangs towards the end of 1969.  But did Goodyear continue manufacturing the "no size" tire into the early 70's?  Were consumers at the time able to purchase these tires from their local distributor?....I assume they could.....and that is why some tires have date codes into the early 70's. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations