Author Topic: S-100 fastener finish  (Read 1860 times)

Offline 68 S Code

S-100 fastener finish
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
Does anyone out there have any documentation which supports my hunch that the suffix S-100 listed after a fastener part number designates the red dye finish. After looking over the Osborn Chassis Manual I started to see a pattern at fasteners for certain components. Those that are known to have been dyed red had this suffix designation. If I am correct then there are a few more fasteners which Ford had intended to be dyed red. Maybe Max at AMK has some info?

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: S-100 fastener finish
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
In Max's (AMK) fastener book he states that S100 in 68 represents the red dye finish. Keep in mind that all of the fasteners listed in the Osborne 1968 manuals with the S100 finish were not always finished in red dye. It varied from plant to plant as well as during the entire production year.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
Peter, thanks for verifying the pattern I was seeing. It's odd that the engineers would designate a special finish of certain fasteners (to call attention to the requirement for proper torquing) only to have that requirement disregarded by the individual plants or suppliers. Seems like it would have been a liability issue that a large corporation like Ford would not so haphazardly dismiss. Today, it would be on the morning news after someone blew the whistle an hour earlier.  Thanks for the heads up.

Online 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
FYI the Osborne manuals include only one version of each drawing, and often there were several revisions.  My understanding from Jeff is that they generally picked the best copy, and sometimes even the best was poor.  I would expect that the best and/or only copy would tend to be the last revision rather than earlier ones. 

For example, for the 1967 manual you see the two piece fuel line with extra guarding, nothing like my Dec 66 build one piece line that runs along the driveshaft.

The drawing revision history is illegible to me, so we can't correlate the drawing revision date with the build date.  There would also undoubtedly be a time lag between when the drawing is signed off to when it is in production.  I can see someone making a call to deplete inventory of old stuff unless specifically instructed otherwise or if the instructions were unclear.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
It's odd that the engineers would designate a special finish of certain fasteners (to call attention to the requirement for proper torquing) only to have that requirement disregarded by the individual plants or suppliers.

The disregard of the finish in no way indicates if there was a disregard for the proper torque. The pneumatic tools used on the assembly line were calibrated and checked on a regular basis and for the most part the more "technical" line positions where proper torque and technique was a factor went to the more senior union members.

Regards,
Pete Morgan