Author Topic: Cleaning the underside  (Read 6138 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Cleaning the underside
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
It took me several days (and nights) to clean the underside of my 66 GT Fastback. There was nothing in the way, no drive train, no plumbing, no cables, which made it easier (yeah, right). On your back, on a creeper, crud falling in your face, hands wrinkled from solvents, sneezing from some nasty grease remover, a fun time.
I haven't had to use a steam cleaner service for a while, but the last time I did the car would not start for a while - too much moisture in the engine compartment I guess. That may be why I am reluctant to do use steam again.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
Here's a shot after scrubbing with mineral spirits and citrus cleaner.

Looks good!   Keep us updated.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline machm1970

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm going to do anymore than clean it. It does have light surface rusts in spots, but is in pretty good shape. I'm back and forth between documenting the underside, stripping it down and restoring it or just leaving it as is. Thoughts? 

Offline rodster

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »
It's only original once.  ;)  Especially if it's in nice shape.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »
It took me several days (and nights) to clean the underside of my 66 GT Fastback. There was nothing in the way, no drive train, no plumbing, no cables, which made it easier (yeah, right). On your back, on a creeper, crud falling in your face, hands wrinkled from solvents, sneezing from some nasty grease remover, a fun time.
I haven't had to use a steam cleaner service for a while, but the last time I did the car would not start for a while - too much moisture in the engine compartment I guess. That may be why I am reluctant to do use steam again.
Jim
Definitely a given to have to dry the distributor cap out after steam cleaning. The steam condenses and turns into water droplets under the closed cap. WD40 comes in handy for that too because it displaces the water. Happened more times then I care to remember.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby