Author Topic: Chassis/Suspension Detail Paint - May 65 SJ GT  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Rick D

Chassis/Suspension Detail Paint - May 65 SJ GT
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Hi,

I've been reading quite a bit on detailing marks.  I documented all of the markings on my May 65 SJ GT coupe.  My question is paint selection an application techniques.  I'm struggling to find type of paint (acrylic, oil, etc.) that goes on easily and is durable.  Along with that goes the question of the technique to apply and protect these markings.  When I attempt this with a narrow brush it seems to go on too thin.  Applying multiple coats looks wrong too.   I'm thinking this is because of paint type.  I'm speaking specifically of the yellow stripes on the strut rods, brown stripes on the coil springs, yellow dots on the spindles, etc.  Were these glossy, flat, or just whatever they had lying around?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:23:00 PM by J_Speegle »
66 GT Convertible, A code (3rd owner)
San Jose built, Sacramento raised until 97
Body 76B, Color T, Int F3, Date 13A, DSO 72, Axle A, Trans 5

65 GT Coupe, A Code (in progress)
San Jose built (Saved from TX junkyard)
Body 65B, Color D, Int 67, Date 05S, DSO 72, Axle 1, Trans 6  (white top, A/C, PS)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Chassis/Suspension Detail Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
First did you try the search feature?  Believe the question about paints types and suggestions has been posted a few times :)

The method of application depended on the part and year. IF it was a brush application then there were many different types of brushes but most can be applied with a 1/2" chip brush and a fine tip art brush. Or for the last just use a match from a match book if you can still find one of those - if not a tooth pick cut and smashed will work. Holding the wider brush at an angle to the surface during application or pressing during contact will decrease or increase the width to get the finished look you are looking for. Yes you do want to try and do it in a single pass like originally done. If its not perfect - then it likely will look more original ;)

I find that enamels work the best on a oil free surface so paint marks go on before a protective coat of oil does. This helps them stick and works to protect them. The paint IMHO was likely a glossy paint which flattened and softened its look over time when exposed to the elements. ' The makers of these parts - didn't "have paint sitting around"   since they were doing thousands of these items so they likely purchased paint in 5 gallons or more containers, not the little hobby or pint containers we would be buying today for our single car

As for your specific marks - never seen yellow stripes on 65-66 strut rods. That is on original cars - only one "restored" ones  ::)

Have seen daubs instead at that location

Coil springs, as mentioned numerous times in earlier threads were applied with the spring out of the car with a fairly dry (can make out the brush tips at the end of the stroke often) brush in a single movement, typically from what would become the bottom of the spring to the top. Coils were either sitting on the flat end of the spring or on their sides as runs often appear to travel up hill once the spring is installed 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
When you determine the color you want, get it special mixed at Home Depot using their Behr Premium Plus samples, a 7.25 oz container. It is flat paint and inexpensive. Mine have been loaned out to several others restoring Mustangs and Shelbys mostly on suspension components. Suppliers used cheap paint to identify their parts per Ford specs that in general were not specific to any exact shade (yellow is yellow, not burnt amber). Application was done with a brush, rapidly, with gusto (sort of sloppy). A May 5th 1965 San Jose GT hardtop (I have a May 11th GT Fastback) will use the same suspension colors as a "K" car.
The color samples I made up came from some guy named Charles Turner who posted a lot of pictures here:
http://www.ct.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/
and here:
http://65kresto.blogspot.com/
You will have to surf them to find colors.
It seems that many of the posts Charles made in "early-mustang.com" were removed. Charles?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
It seems that many of the posts Charles made in "early-mustang.com" were removed. Charles?

Have done some housekeeping in the past and removed folders to free up space, hard to remember where/when I may have referenced them over the past 10+ years! :-)

If there is something I deleted and anyone would like to see again, just let me know.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
Actually, yes. Would you put up the top site name if that will get access to the detail pictures.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »
Here's what I came up with to give Home Depot a sample of the colors I wanted. The first is the LH coil from my Oct 65 San Jose GT "K" Fastback. As you can see, there's not much to go on. The other three are a culmination of many other photographs to get a decent sample.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Actually, yes. Would you put up the top site name if that will get access to the detail pictures.
Jim

Ahh, ok, just take off the /vert on the link you posted.  That will get you to the top level of the directory.  It's just a place I put files, never really intended it to be searchable/click-able type thing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin