Author Topic: Underhood Details  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Underhood Details
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
I'd like to duplicate the paint finish on the underside of my hood and noticed at the 2:21 mark of the Martha Reeves video the witness marks left by the rack that held the hood when it was painted. 

Does anyone have any close up shots of an original hood with these marks visible? 

What color primer would have been under the original paint?  I believe this video was shot at Dearborn in the summer of '64.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:27:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re Underhood Details
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
I'd like to duplicate the paint finish on the underside of my hood and noticed at the 2:21 mark of the Martha Reeves video the witness marks left by the rack that held the hood when it was painted. 

Does anyone have any close up shots of an original hood with these marks visible? 

Original hoods, all years, typically show a slight shadow (amount of shadow would depend on how tall the painter was IMH0) from being painted on these fixtures.

Very typical

What color primer would have been under the original paint?  I believe this video was shot at Dearborn in the summer of '64.

On the bottom of the hood red primer. The shadows often show rust rather than red primer
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:27:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Underhood Details
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
OK went through some of my pictures and found the following examples. The shadow produced on the bottom side of the hood from the fixture differs allot from car to car. Again this paint detail, like others, is likely IMHO due to the different heights of the painters, effort put forth during application and other unknown details. If you notice that some shadows are above, to the left, below  or all the way around - likely the results of where the painter was standing at the moment. Not all original paint cars show shadows so at least some painters got full coverage as Ford likely wanted

NOTE: When viewing the following well aged examples, understand that the effect of the thinner paint and primer application has resulted over the years to less fade and more surface rust. On those examples were rust is visible, I would say, what we see is 100 times more noticeable than it was on the day the car was completed

Skyway65 I removed the specific year of your original title so that we could include many more years in this thread since this is not a detail specific to 65 though that is where you noticed the fixture originally

65 San Jose example

65 San Jose example

66 San Jose example

66 San Jose example

67 San Jose example

67 San Jose example

67 NJ example

67 NJ example

68 San Jose example

70 Dearborn example

70 Dearborn example

73 Dearborn example   In 71 Ford changed the location fo the hole that they used to hang the hoods from during paint application

Jeff Speegle

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »
good stuff Jeff--thanks for posting.  :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
Reviewing the picture from the video at Dearborn is obvious that the hood hook/hanger we see is not the one that the hood was shot on - no color on the hanger itself.  Just wanted to point that out ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
Yep, noticed that after watching the video about 8 times!   8)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
After watching the video clip, the guys car is not finished. Where are the fender extension around the headlights?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
After watching the video clip, the guys car is not finished. Where are the fender extension around the headlights?
'

Are you asking where they are during the paint process or why they are not on the car at the end of the video when the car is almost finished.

If its the later they weren't installed until after the headlights were adjusted so they were not installed until very late in the process
Jeff Speegle