Author Topic: Transmission tags...  (Read 1154 times)

Offline mungus

Transmission tags...
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:00:42 AM »
So the tags on C6's have the model code on the top line, in my case PGA P2.
And a serial number on the bottom line.

But should that serial match the car's abbreviated serial number that's stamped into the top of the cases?
(In my case 8T182253). Or is it a completely different number that's just from the transmission production line before it got mated to a specific car ID.

My tag is so mangled and corroded I can't tell!  :'(

Kevin Marti still isn't offering new transmission tags on his website, so I'll have to get one made.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:05:03 AM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Transmission tags...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:23 AM »
So the tags on C6's have the model code on the top line, in my case PGA P2.
And a serial number on the bottom line.

But should that serial match the car's abbreviated serial number that's stamped into the top of the cases?
(In my case 8T182253). Or is it a completely different number that's just from the transmission production line before it got mated to a specific car ID.

NT tag is so mangled and corroded I can't tell!  :'(

Kevin Marti still isn't offering new transmission tags on his website, so I'll have to get one made.

Thanks in advance.
The C6 tag serial number is specific to that transmission from the transmission production line.  The tag sequential number does not correspond to the vehicle sequential VIN number.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:50 AM »
Many thanks Bob.
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Or since they are not made/reproduced find one from a donor from about the same time period as your car. Any plant.

Think the challenge of making these is that the markings were not stamped into the metal but rolled in so that the tag stays flat and not deformed as we see on some other tags and difficult doing without the right tools .
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mungus

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

I guess anything is possible! :-)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
Was thinking last night I wonder if this is a task for an engraver since that would not bend, twist or depress the metal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »
Was thinking last night I wonder if this is a task for an engraver since that would not bend, twist or depress the metal
+1. The steel tag is very hard and would be difficult to get at the correct consistent depth while not depressing the metal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mungus

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »
Funnily enough earlier today I spoke to a fellow Mustang owner who lives quite close by, who has a trophy engraving business.
She thinks she would be able to do it with a rotary engraver. Might need a couple of passes to get the right cut.
Apparently the more common laser ones can't replicate the depth etc.
I'm dropping the old one around in the next few days for her to have a go...
Its cheap, so no loss if its a dud.