Author Topic: 65 GT350r  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 GT350r
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »
Oh dear looks like I touched sensitive spot in my question, as I have to build this car to as was in 65 as the rules dictate I have to be sure of the correctness of the finished car and as it is a huge investment for a person (not a wealthy one at that) one can't afford mistakes so it's important that I get it right so with knowledge from people who know the facts it's a great help many thanks to those that have sent some info any more would be greatly appreciated . it's also difficult for me here in the UK to get  parts and info
Sensitive issue for sure but building a car "as was in 65 as the rules dictate"  can be done without touching on the sensitive issues because you are building for the purpose of vintage racing opposed to exact detail. The rules you have to build to are general specifications and not exact detail just exact function. Those things are relatively common knowledge (with some  digging) . The exact details in a vintage racing situation is not relevant as long as you meet the general specifactions for the vintage racing organization. What can be used in the engine ,type of transmission, tire size etc. not the exact location of where a bracket was placed or what it looked like etc. most vintage racing organization are more concerned about the "spirit" of the look from back in the day and not the exact detail of parts ,fasteners, and to a lesser extent body of back in the day.  There are also upgrades that weren't legal back in the day (but most likely used when they could) but are common now in vintage racing circles . For instance the 65-67 cars ran the stock rotor caliper set up as a stock Mustang just different pads . Starting in 68 Trans Am racing the bigger T bird calipers were legally used up front and larger diameter rotors. Since the T bird 4 piston calipers look the same as the smaller Mustang ones  just larger it was easy to get this by the scrutineers on the 65-67 cars. I remember one racer welded a COBRA tradmark onto his better performing edlebrock intake because that was the rule it had to Cobra on the intake.  It didn't look anything like a Cobra intake to a Shelby guy but it passed the scruteneers for years. These things are best discussed with other racers in your venue rather then scrutineers  ;) . Even some racers will not discuss mods to there cars to maintain a competitive edge. Cobra Automotive is the leader IMO of the vintage racing "advantages " that can be updated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:35:04 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby