Author Topic: Staggered Shocks  (Read 879 times)

Offline Randyfl

Staggered Shocks
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »
I purchased, or thought I purchased a 1969 428 CJ “R” code.  February build Dearborne plant.  It is a automatic with R code transmission.  A potential buyer has told me there is no way this can be a R code because it does not have staggered shocks.  So, do all R codes have staggered shocks. 

Thanks,

RB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Staggered Shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
All 4 speed 69 with 428CJ were suppose to be built that way ;)

Original automatic equipped CJ's would not have received staggered rear shocks

Potential buyer must have confused what ever he saw on the internet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:01 AM »
I remember being "dragged" into the back lot of Mustangs Plus by Jeff, along with Rich and Bruce (all three MCA Gold Card Judges) to be shown an example of staggered shocks on 69 Hardtop (I think). You could see the installation by looking thru the trunk with the gas tank removed. That was before the days of digital cameras.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Randyfl

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:12:08 AM »
Thank you for the response I appreciate it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
I remember being "dragged" into the back lot of Mustangs Plus by Jeff, along with Rich and Bruce (all three MCA Gold Card Judges) to be shown an example of staggered shocks on 69 Hardtop (I think). You could see the installation by looking thru the trunk with the gas tank removed. That was before the days of digital cameras.
Jim

Ya that was the mystery mistake coupe I bought out of Pick-N-Pull in the bay area. Ended up cutting it up since it would have been a challenge to get it legal but would have been an interesting conversation piece - Staggered shocks (never used) wrap around front shock towers, bench seat, tilt, AC  351 4V automatic car. Best we could figure out once Ford records became available was that the factory changed the purpose/order after some point from a really loaded 428CJ four speed to the Windsor automatic for some reason.  A couple of magazines wanted me to build it (possibly as a Boss 302 coupe) and they would use it in a April's Fool Issue.  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)