Author Topic: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !  (Read 357 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Re: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Wow!  So I know both rotation numbers?   Sweet deal!  Ok... so that battery area marking..... that's supposedly,  or commonly,  a "D"?  I tried to replicate what I saw and don't mind redoing it (solvent will take that off)  so i can make it right.   It almost looks like a "B" as well......

This is awesome stuff man!   Love all the input.  I'm schooled on Mopars but not the Mustangs, but like my A12 Super Bee which has a site dedicated specifically for them and very detailed,  this site has been a great asset so far!

Jeff.... on the sound deadener thing.   I guess I just don't like that look of bodycolor in the wheel wells, even though correct.  My car had it sprayed on the entire undercarriage and gastank too.  My plan is once the fenders are on, spray the stuff in the rear wheel wells,  inner fender areas,  firewall around the heater area and brake booster area as well as the inner frame rails where they meet the firewall and all along the trans tunnel. I'm debating on doing the gastank.  Again...a preference thing but we'll see.  I'd like it to be correct as I can but a little artistic leeway to make things a little neater than original.   But like my Super Bee.... things done differently are NEVER advertised as being correct.  ;D

Keep the info coming.  I've been pretty good at using the search function too, but sometimes it's best to just come out and ask.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:02:13 AM by A12pilot »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Jeff,

Here's my body buck tag.   Looks like my car was part of the "recycling" campaign back then since it's a Mercury tag ;D

No 610 on it.  I have my Buildsheet but only half of it,  so the part with that number in it is the part missing I'm assuming. I need to send all this to Marti and have a new one made.

Cheers
Dave
That is cool. I have also seen those large tags reused for Mustang door tags.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »

Jeff.... on the sound deadener thing.   I guess I just don't like that look of bodycolor in the wheel wells, even though correct.  My car had it sprayed on the entire undercarriage and gastank too.  My plan is once the fenders are on, spray the stuff in the rear wheel wells,  inner fender areas,  firewall around the heater area and brake booster area as well as the inner frame rails where they meet the firewall and all along the trans tunnel. I'm debating on doing the gastank. ............................

Likely it was undercoated by the dealer or by the first owner. Today its frowned upon since many assume that if your covering surfaces your possibly hiding poor repairs, problems or workmanship. Also many figure if you did a nice full restoration then you would be proud to show off the condition not hide it but your choice.  I have a driver that I didn't  touch on the undercarriage when I did it. Just focused on what others would see at a local show and didn't want to spend the time to strip all of the undercoating off.

Wow!  So I know both rotation numbers?   Sweet deal!  Ok... so that battery area marking..... that's supposedly,  or commonly,  a "D"?  I tried to replicate what I saw and don't mind redoing it (solvent will take that off)  so i can make it right.   It almost looks like a "B" as well......

Does this happen to be a later 68 car?  Just asking

The "D" is a commonly found marking in that location and the radiator support from the San Jose plant. Not so much in my experience at Dearborn, why I asked, but it has been seen with and without a line through it during 67-70 production. Often, like what you showed, we get parts and sections of markings  then try and figure out what the complete marking may have been.

Have not figured out what the "D" indicated at any of the plants. In that same location we often find an "8" in that location at Dearborn starting in 67 and also a version with a line through it.  Thought you might have found the bottom of that number  but would not expect to find an "8" on your car but instead a letter identifying the engine size. Its all about where and when the car was built

All good, just asking as we see things and you share them, to either support, confirm or take us possibly in a new direction.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Jeff.  It's a November car,  sold first week of January.  I have the large,  recessed quarter panel markers too.  Lots of dates stamped on parts like the pedal hangers,  wiper motor,  motor mount markings, etc.  I'll post up what I found so it can be added.

I'm starting to cut and buff then will start into more reassembly.  On the rear valance....i didn't paint it on the car since my rotisserie mounts are in the way.  But when I do paint it,  it will be painted as if it were hanging like its supposed to.... and overspray on the backside.   Screws painted too, afterwards 8)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:43:48 PM by A12pilot »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
-1970 Challenger T/A
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)