Author Topic: Whats the correct C6 servo for 68' S code?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline mungus

Whats the correct C6 servo for 68' S code?
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
My C6 has a "D" servo in it.

The ID TAG starts with PAG-A but rest is torn off, so may not be the OEM Mustang 390 transmission...
The serial is not matched to the cars VIN per the motor, but then I've heard that didn't start until mid 68? (true / baloney?)

Can anyone state what servo is factory correct? Was there a choice?
All I know about is the common one - R servos in CJ's.

A search of the MPC didn't reveal an applications list for servos, just the transmissions themselves.
Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places... :-)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:29:01 AM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Whats the correct C6 servo for 68' S code?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
My C6 has a "D" servo in it.

The ID TAG starts with PAG-A but rest is torn off, so may not be the OEM Mustang 390 transmission...
The serial is not matched to the cars VIN per the motor, but then I've heard that didn't start until mid 68? (true / baloney?)

Can anyone state what servo is factory correct? Was there a choice?
All I know about is the common one - R servos in CJ's.

A search of the MPC didn't reveal an applications list for servos, just the transmissions themselves.
Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places... :-)

Thanks in advance.
All 67 and 68 Shelby Mustangs were "supposed" to have the vin stamped on the automatic transmission for sure. 67's were stamped more so because of the special engine but 68 I thought but not sure all 68 Mustangs were "supposed" to have the engine and transmission stamped because of the federal mandate.  FYI the 68 GT 500KR and 428 CJ Mustang C6 was a physically different transmission to accept the "R" servo. It is commonly talked about because it is rare but very uncommon relatively speaking. The "R" servo will not fit in a typical FE C6 transmission. To add H servos were typical in most 68 428 PI equipped GT500.   Sorry no info on the "S" code.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:31:33 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »
Thanks Bob, maybe not on the S codes but useful background anyway.

I gather it's commonplace to machine C6 cases to accept an R servo, indeed R kits are the ones most often offered on eBay etc.

However I've also read the H is almost as good but more plentiful being a common light truck fitting. The issue for me would be finding a correct OEM cover. I don't want a speed shop type cover sitting on there. Hard as it is to see...

The D isn't that bad, as it's just below the H in the performance stakes, I was just interested about whether or not it's the OEM fitment.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:14:12 PM by mungus »
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »
Thanks Bob, maybe not on the S codes but useful background anyway.

I gather it's commonplace to machine their C6 cases to accept an R servo, indeed R kits are the ones most often offered on eBay etc.

However I've also read the H is almost as good but more plentiful being a common light truck fitting. The issue for me would be finding a correct OEM cover. I don't want a speed shop type cover sitting on there. Hard as it is to see...

The D isn't that bad, as it's just below the H in the performance stakes, I was just interested about whether or not it's the OEM fitment.
The "H" servo should fit in a regular FE C6 case with no problem. I am interested to hear about a R servo"kit" . I haven't heard that it was commonplace to machine a regular C6 case to accept a R servo let alone some kind of kit to convert one.   I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone doing that. I have seen the R servos by them selves for sale infrequently. I see the complete transmissions for sale much more frequently like the one on ebay now https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-428-CJ-SCJ-Mustang-Shelby-Fairlane-C6-Auto-Trans-R-servo-cast-iron-tai/302523969053 . I must have missed the Kits or was looking in the wrong place on ebay because I have never seen any.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mungus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Yup plenty of "R" kits for sale. I just found a dozen or more on eBay. However I should elaborate by stating these are usually not a conversion kit, but a modern "emulator" kit that performs as an R without any machining required. They are very good I'm told. However I have found several new piston / rebuild kits for original R servos, for which you obviously need the OEM cover and I guess a CJ iron tailed C6.

However a modern rebuild guide book I have and several online magazine articles on building C6's all recommend fitting an R servo, with one having the proviso that machining "may" be required. Also my local shop mentioned there is a guy here in Melbourne who does the machining to take the bigger OEM R servo, for guys building a CJ that want the right cover when the original transmission has gone missing, but added that they themselves usually just fit an R "emulator" kits, as they perform just as well and pop straight in.

So the word "commonplace" might not be the best choice. Likewise when the C6 builders selling uprated street / strip type transmissions state they have an R servo, I'm imagining they have simply fitted the emulator kit rather than machining for the big R servo. I mean, why would you bother, if it's just performance you are chasing?

Sounds like the H is a good option for someone looking for a period upgrade...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:57:18 PM by mungus »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:43:22 PM »
Yup plenty of R kits for sale. I just found a dozen or more on eBay. However these are usually a modern kit that performs as an R without any machining required. They are very good I'm told. Also several piston kits for original R servos, so you need the OEM cover and I guess a CJ C6.

A modern rebuild guide book I have and several online magazine articles on building C6's all recommend fitting an R servo, with one having the proviso that machining "may" be required. Also my local shop mentioned there is a guy here in Melbourne who does the machining to take an OEM R servo, for guys building a CJ that want the right cover when the original transmission has gone missing, but that they themselves usually just fit is of the above R "emulator" kits, as they perform just as well and pop straight in.

Sounds like the H is a good option for someone looking for a period upgrade...
OK so you are talking about a alternative the works as good and fits without modification in a common C6. If I understand you correctly they do not come with a "R" replacement cover.  I thought you were referring to a complete kit like what is available for the 65/66 289 hipo trans that includes a servo and reproduction hipo servo cover.  When I do a search in Ebay motors for R servo I don't seem to come up with any titles that indicate association with a C6 R servo. Could you please post a link to one of them as I still am missing them. Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
OK so you are talking about a alternative the works as good and fits without modification in a common C6. If I understand you correctly they do not come with a "R" replacement cover.  I thought you were referring to a complete kit like what is available for the 65/66 289 hipo trans that includes a servo and reproduction hipo servo cover.  When I do a search in Ebay motors for R servo I don't seem to come up with any titles that indicate association with a C6 R servo. Could you please post a link to one of them as I still am missing them. Thanks.
I think i found what you are talking about . TCI makes something . It may perform the same but in no way looks the same as the OEM part. https://www.ebay.com/p/TCI-High-Performance-Ford-C-6-Servo-R-code-Kit-Red-423005-Hot-Rod-2-465-K6/5008826707 .

Offline mungus

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Looks like you replied whilst I was still doing the final edit to my post. Yes that's right, the ones commonly seen on eBay have no R cover as such. Here's some of the many C6 R emulator kits I mentioned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-Auto-423005-Servo-R-Code-Ford-C-6-Kit/191410707768?epid=5008826707&hash=item2c90f79d38:g:QV0AAOSwvApaAd1K&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C6-R-Servo-performs-as-the-Ford-R-servo/8059260469?hash=item1e05e8e35:g:SqcAAOSwrOtZqG-3&vxp=mtr

The fitting of the big R servo is discussed here, together with the pros and cons of the emulator kits and matching with levers etc. So it can and has been done, it's not difficult provided the cases are out of the car that is!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/thread/1071371940/This+is+a+list+of+C6+servo+sizes

However in short the only practical period looking upgrade is to an H servo or just the cover, with one of those R emulator kits inside.

Anyway we've digressed somewhat. As I still haven't answered my question as to what was the factory servo on an S code...

What I'm hoping is that my D servo is correct and if necessary I can just swap the insides to one of those kits.
I guess I could be that lucky...

I'm guessing that concours wise, with the 68' servo applications not being well known that an H servo cover wouldn't lose points?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:35:54 PM by mungus »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:07:51 PM »
Wow that looked like an exercise  :)

So let me try and help 

According to a 68 MPC the cover part number was C6AZ-7D027-A   Marked C6AP-7D027-D

Shared with 68 large Fords with 390 and 428 PI's. Also 67 390 Mustang/Cougars and Torino/Fairlane  as well as full size Fords with 390's and 428's

Here is a picture from an S code Shelby built in 68 . Also found one installed CJ C6  marked the same

Think that might answer your question
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mungus

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Wonderful Jeff!

That is exactly what I wanted to know. And an H sounds just right for an S code.
So my search for an H servo, can now start.

Many thanks.