Author Topic: Found etchings on my radiator support- 66 NJ Oct 65 - K Code  (Read 3252 times)

Offline evantugby

Found etchings on my radiator support- 66 NJ Oct 65 - K Code
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Gents,
Look close. There are markings on the bare steel of the passenger side of my radiator support. 

Question: is there some trick that I can do to make these markings stand out so they are clear? 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:27:15 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Found etchings on my radiator support- 66 NJ Oct 65 - K Code
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
why do you want them to stand out? they were put on the bare unibody then covered up by paint so they would not stand out. they had served their purpose prior to paint.

p.s. you need to remove all those clips & bolts for a proper refinish but you already knew that.
5F09C331248

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »
why do you want them to stand out? they were put on the bare unibody then covered up by paint so they would not stand out. they had served their purpose prior to paint.

p.s. you need to remove all those clips & bolts for a proper refinish but you already knew that.

carlite65,
Are you kidding me?  I want to identify them like everyone else does when they uncover such clues.  When the kar is painted they will go bye bye but while I have them uncovered I want to know what markings were put on my kar.   

Does anyone have any enhancing photo skills to see anything?  They only thing I can make out for sure is 63A (2+2 fastback). 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
Gents,
Look close. There are markings on the bare steel of the passenger side of my radiator support. 

Again your choices of how to build this car comes into conflict. If you want to build it into a clone then you'll need to ignore and not reproduce these on the finished car

If you look at the thread on my 69 Boss 302 you will see how I chose to reproduce them - like originally done - under the engine compartment black

Question: is there some trick that I can do to make these markings stand out so they are clear?
[/quote]

Multiple angles using something like Photoshop adjusting the contrast all the way up and the darkness all the way down then moving the darkness to the light a little at a time. As it passes through different stages different parts of the markings were come into view. Then lessen the contrast and do it again in 4-5 steps.

If you choose you over lay a layer and mark highlights as you go through the process then come back and complete each line in a different color (so that each is an individual rather than a predetermined shape since sometimes these can be two or more markings one over the other or intersecting

Once done. look at the area from a distance, rotate  the area and try and figure out what you have captured

Works well for me just takes time

In these areas (as discussed before in other threads) you can find second or first rotation numbers. Over or under black will help determine which is which. Interior code, exterior paint code, sometimes options or features depending on year and plant.  Some plants and time periods there appears there was nothing applied.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
Gents,
I'm not trying to replicate these markings.  I'm simply trying to identify what they are. 

Jeff, I will have to play with my picture adjustment tools a bit to see if I can distinguish anything other than the "63A" I see but I really think it's going to take some photo technology beyond what I have basic on my stock computer to read these markings. 

Gents,
I'm willing to make a donation to your wallet for your time if you can send me the enhanced photographs that identify these markings.  Note:  I have the higher resolution pictures I can send you from my email:  evantugby@hotmail.com  Email me and I'll send them over if you want a shot. 

Thanks,
Evan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:41:58 PM by evantugby »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »
Using the method I outlined

Picture #1 & #3 - since the other marking you decoded shows a standard interior was the interior a Parchment?

Picture #4 is likely PIO which would identify the body was going to be a GT and needed certain things added or not added

Since NJ are fairly rare in unrestored condition (allot of them too rusty to help out in unrestored form) I don't have allot of radiator support pre paint markings to help or give us many clues

You interior and exterior codes might help - just for comparison purposes and maybe a place to start
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Jeff,
PIO?! That's awesome! My kar is (was) a GT. Here is the info you asked for:

63A Z 26 23K 41 5 5

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »
Was the exterior color Y? Just curious why take a Factory GT and clone it into a Shelby?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
Was the exterior color Y? Just curious why take a Factory GT and clone it into a Shelby?

To some people they would rather have a Shelby but can't afford it. So a k-code is the closest thing to a Shelby gt350. Besides, this kar was original sauterne gold (puke) and I'm not interested in converting it back. 

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
I'm a little confused. You are working the minutia but are modifying the car from original (Shelby clone with the wrong exterior color and more than likely wrong color interior). These departures are going to be hard to explain if you ever show the car. I think that you need to pick a theme (total stock or "modified") and go in that direction. If you pick the "modified" route you can save yourself a lot of time (which you say you have little of) and focus on the more important things.

Frank

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:38:22 PM by evantugby »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
Jeff,
PIO?! That's awesome! My kar is (was) a GT. Here is the info you asked for:

63A Z 26 23K 41 5 5

Reply #2 picture #3 may show a 26 if you rotate the picture counter clock-wise from how its posted.
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
I'm a little confused. You are working the minutia but are modifying the car from original (Shelby clone with the wrong exterior color and more than likely wrong color interior). These departures are going to be hard to explain if you ever show the car. I think that you need to pick a theme (total stock or "modified") and go in that direction. If you pick the "modified" route you can save yourself a lot of time (which you say you have little of) and focus on the more important things.

Guess the way I see it, the OP will have to explain the choices at some point, but that's not really our concern.  The details discussed still have value here for others that may have the same questions or search topics in the future.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »
.................. The details discussed still have value here for others that may have the same questions or search topics in the future.

+1 And the reason this set of threads have remained here rather than being moved to the Lounge (non-concours related) area for the time being
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »

Frank

I have no interest in showing this kar for sport. What I am doing to the kar is for me. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:49:23 PM by evantugby »

Offline evantugby

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »
Reply #2 picture #3 may show a 26 if you rotate the picture counter clock-wise from how its posted.

I'm not seeing it. Can you show it in yellow like you did with the PIO picture you uploaded?