Author Topic: Engine paint , use primer before ??  (Read 4080 times)

Offline mhubert89

Engine paint , use primer before ??
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
hi ,

i am repainting my 68 289. Did you use a primer before spraying the blue color ? If yes, wich one is better to apply before ?

thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Engine paint , use primer before ??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Yes, you should use primer, catalyzed epoxy primer would be best, followed with catalyzed paint within 48 hours.

The key to how well it holds up is how clean the surface is.  Absolutely all oil/dirt must be removed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
Yes, you should use primer, catalyzed epoxy primer would be best, followed with catalyzed paint within 48 hours.

The key to how well it holds up is how clean the surface is.  Absolutely all oil/dirt must be removed.

thanks !

did you know if the carb spacer suppose to be paint on my 68 289 built april 16th ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline Toploader

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »

The best approach notwithstanding, would primer really have been used originally?
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
The best approach notwithstanding, would primer really have been used originally?

No - and never used it. Fills in allot of the small details and adds to that "dipped in blue plastic" look we often see on "restored" cars  :o
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
No - and never used it. Fills in allot of the small details and adds to that "dipped in blue plastic" look we often see on "restored" cars  :o

so no primer originally, and did the carb spacer was paint ??
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
I would use a non-catalyzed primer, and don't soak it. However, as pointed out; It has to be absolutely clean. Don't use something like POR. It won't come off and it doesn't deal well with UV or heat long term. I have used "bomb can" ceramic Corporate blue with the same gloss clear coat. It actually seems to hold up rather well if the engine is tuned well, even on a big block, where the exhaust exits.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
I have painted engines without primer and spray cans, usually have to touch them up on a regular basis and the spray can paint is more susceptible to coming off if gas comes into contact.  Guess if you don't mind touching up, then go the quick/cheap way.  Agree that some detail can be covered over, but only if thick heavy coats are applied.  The engines I've done with primer/catalyzed paint hold up very well.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Charles, I like the look of the two stage, but it's only rated for 375 degrees. FE's burn much hotter than that at the exhaust flange, and that is were most of the issues come into play with touch up.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:54:02 AM »
Charles, I like the look of the two stage, but it's only rated for 375 degrees. FE's burn much hotter than that at the exhaust flange, and that is were most of the issues come into play with touch up.
There are 100's of engines in driver cars using the 2 stage - BB's included that have been in use for some years now. I have yet to hear of problems that are even close to those experienced using the so called high temp rattle can engine paint. That is why most knowledgeable professional shops and experienced enthusiast restorers use the PPG engine paint product. That is why I wouldn't be afraid of it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
spoke with a lot of guys who redone our engine over here..and no one use primer before.. Me i buy the plastikote 224 enemal engine paint to do my engine .
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:01:45 PM »
the harmonic balancer suppose to be paint black,blue or stay natural ?
Also the hole where the oïl filter go, suppose to stay natural or paint blue ?

thanks
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:03:57 AM by mhubert89 »
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:43 AM »
It should be blue, the pulley was semi-gloss black and installed as needed, single, double etc.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:54 AM »
the harmonic balancer suppose to be paint black,blue or stay natural ?
Also the hole where the oïl filter go, suppose to stay natural or paint blue ?

Small block oil filter surfaces (gasket) was masked off with some slip on mask. Like the radiator hose necks, PVS, heater hose connections, fuel pump gasket surface ... Most are shown in the Boss section of the site where I showed a Boss engine I painted. Very similar details

Engine was painted before the balancer was installed - it was painted semi-gloss black by the supplier/provider
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)