Author Topic: FE Starter gear engagement  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Angela

FE Starter gear engagement
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
I happened to notice that it appears the starter gear only mates with approximately half of the available flywheel tooth depth (see picture). It looks like the starter gear is mating with the entire width of the flywheel teeth, but only half their depth. I am wondering if other folks have seen a similar situation and if so, what can be done about it. I have not yet removed the starter to inspect the gear on the bendix. I am going to have to do some research to try and remember if I re-used the original gear or if I put a new on on. For now, I'm just looking to gather some feedback from others.
If you zoom in on the attached pic you should be able to see where the two gears are mating, VS the grey primer which I applied to the flywheel precisely for this purpose (so that I could later inspect for wear).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: FE Starter gear engagement
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
In my experience you'll see allot of them with half a gear eaten away about half the depth of the flywheel gear. Especially noticable on cars were the start will start slipping then chewing up one area then its gets worst
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
So does that mean there is no way to improve the depth of tooth engagement? Is the depth of engagement dictated only by the diameter of the bendix drive gear on the starter motor? Or, is there some other way to improve engagement?
I have no idea how the bendix gear is removed from these FE starters, nor do I see replacements available for sale unless you buy a whole new rebuilt starter. Are they available and if so how are they affixed to the starter?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
With all stock original parts I know of no way of improving the condition. Make sure that you have the right starter with the right snot and drive to begin with. Ring gears get removed and a new one (on an auto application) welded back in place then balance. Like many things that use to be common in the past few places rebuild flywheels and pressure plates as they use to.

Don't have a suggestion (last one I had done was for a manual)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
Like many things that use to be common in the past few places rebuild flywheels and pressure plates as they use to.

Look for "automotive machine shops" near you.  If they can't rebuild/resurface and balance them, they will probably know who can.  It took me a handful of phone calls before I found a few shops that knew what I wanted done and why.

Also, my own flywheel has one section with a few "half teeth" on it from the starter eating them.  So you aren't alone :-)

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!