Author Topic: Rotisserie Alternative  (Read 3090 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Rotisserie Alternative
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
I saw this design on Youtube and thought it was perfect for my needs - I don't need to rotate the car 360 degrees....just need access to the bottom.  Thought I would share.  The car is a friend's 67 Coupe.

I sandwiched 2x6s with two layers of 3/8" osb.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jwc66k

Re: Rotisserie Alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:04:16 AM »
I like it, especially the file cabinet "stop".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:43:15 AM »
Very nice job.

My brother-in-law made something very similar to use on a non-Mustang project. I was impressed and it met his needs too. I really considered something along these lines before my brother bought a rotisserie.

There are so many areas that cannot be addressed on just a Body Cart. This idea gets a good majority of them. Getting a full 360 degrees can help with the remaining though. Taking photos of the underdash and disassembling of the underdash was SO much easier on the rotisserie, even though many of those tasks could be done this way too.

All-in-all A-PLUS!

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »
Stacked file cabinets are part of my space saving going vertical philosophy.  Angle of first pictures does look like the cabinets are being used to support...but this is self supporting and cheap!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »
Thanks for posting.

This is really nice! I built a Dolly out of wood that can be used for various things; the whole car, just the engine, just the front end, etc., but I never thought of anything like this.

I have a couple of questions: how easy is it to roll the car up and down and how do you control the car when rolling it up? The sudden transition from the curved to flat self supporting area gives the impression that it may suddenly move too quickly and kind of drop and jar the car into position.

By-the-way, have any drawings detailing the dimensions?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
I have a couple of questions: how easy is it to roll the car up and down and how do you control the car when rolling it up? The sudden transition from the curved to flat self supporting area gives the impression that it may suddenly move too quickly and kind of drop and jar the car into position.

Cool!  I was wondering the same thing, whether it was fairly easy to operate or whether the car would have a tendency to get away from a single person if you weren't careful.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
I lifted and rolled the car vertical by myself.  I probably should have had help, but as usual I don't like to ask or wait for help.  There is a point during the roll, that was the hardest (when I had the rocker at about chest height), that was the most difficult.  Once past that spot, the car continued to roll until vertical quite easily.
I have attached a couple of pictures.  The first is the plywood layout used.  The second is of the inner structure.  There is an additional section (not shown) of 2x8 or 2x10 that was fitted and cut along the entire arc with an angled support back to the corner, but I don't have a picture of that detail.
I made it so the legs could be reversed, so the car could be rotated with either the driver's door up or down.  Just unbolt and reverse.
I moved the car when it was in the vertical position by using a floor jack....this was surprisingly easy.  I just went veryyyy slowww.
Just make sure you have plenty of space....I measured many times before I rolled.  The roof ended up about 6" from my bench.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
If you're not a woodworker of some sort, you should be. Long Bar Clamps and a pair hooked together to make a longer one, radii that are perfect, a drawing without redundant dimensions, etc. - not your average Joe kind of stuff.

I'm curious, did you use a Plunge Router to make the radii or are you really good with a Jigsaw, or did you use some other method? Also, I saw a Flux Brush in one of your photos, I assume for spreading glue. What kind of glue did you use? I'm also wondering about the screws used to secure the Flakeboard to the 2 x's, wood screws, cabinet screws, etc. and did you make your own L-Brackets or was there an off-the-shelf product available?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A