Author Topic: Restoration sequence  (Read 1926 times)

Offline 68NordicCat

Restoration sequence
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
Quick question on sequencing - should all electrical be run before installing the headliner? Dec 67 built 68 J Code 4spd standard Cougar. Want to hang fenders, so I can continue exterior/hood/front bumper and grille assembly, but vinyl top needs to be on before fenders (I'm pretty sure) and headliner needs to be in place prior to vinyl. Only potential problem I see is routing wiring into the trunk (no sail panel courtesy lights or dome light). Really wanting to work on interior and wiring last but not sure that is the best path. Advice appreciated.

Dan
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Restoration sequence
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:15:56 PM »
Off the top of my head I can't think of why the headliner could not go in at this point. All the rear wiring is going to run down the drivers side (rocker panel, rear quarter then into the trunk.

Not sure why the headliner has to go in before the vinyl top but that's not the question ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I think the vinyl laps the headliner behind the glass - which would make sense if water found its way in it wouldn't then get behind the headliner. I'm a home builder and we always want everything lapped away from the inside, so this is probably just my theory. Don't know if there is basis in factory application.
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
I agree with headliner first, then vinyl top... for the exact reasons mentioned.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin