Author Topic: Has anyone tried reproduction seat foam?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Has anyone tried reproduction seat foam?
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
Hi I have bought original seat fabric from SMS and want to redo my seats. I am thinking of replacing the seat foam. TMI has some. Has anyone tried this TMI foam?  If so, is it good?

Thanks
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Has anyone tried reproduction seat foam?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Unless your original is crumbling and falling apart, it can usually be re-used.  You may need to add a layer of Dacron, which can be glued on top of the foam and cut to shape.

Most of the repro foam I have seen were too thick and made the seats look weird and "poofy".   ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
Unless your original is crumbling and falling apart, it can usually be re-used.  You may need to add a layer of Dacron, which can be glued on top of the foam and cut to shape.

Most of the repro foam I have seen were too thick and made the seats look weird and "poofy".   ;D

Thanks for the reply.  My seat foam is in good shape.  I just did not know what the best option since it is 35 year old seat foam.

Take care
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
+1 to the VERY sound advice from Charles. I wish I would have done ours that way a few years ago. Once I had committed to using the TMI foam, I couldn't reverse my demolition of the old foam from the seat frame. I've done our front buckets twice ('66 Red Standard). Used Distinctive Industries covers over original foam the first time, then used TMI covers over their foam the second. The passenger side (because of the "poofiness" to the foam, just never came out the way it should have, as I have a slight wrinkle in the bottom cushion. No one notices it or says anything but I sure see it....one of these days I guess.
I will also add that the new foam will give you a good workout, getting those covers to stretch over the (seemingly or real) extra size. This was when I was doing the job in warm weather, outside, living in Southern California. Believe I said "darn it" several times, as I blessedly recall...

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline Oz390

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
I always chalked up the higher loft on the repros (usually use the ACI brand and have never had any problems) to be due to the fact that 40+ year old foam was a bit squashed... As for wrinkles, I found they were due to a hog ring in the wrong palce and by relocating and maybe a bit of light heat they can be removed... used both TMI and DI covers and again no significant issues wiht either
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:05 AM »

ACI from NPD is top notch, but their logo is annoying and could do without it even if its never seen...  I usually just rub it off..  It's a pain though.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
+1 to Caspian65's response. I installed new front seat foam in my 67' and boy was it hard to get the covers on! Even with the black vinyl being out in the hot August sun, (I had to use thin gloves when starting to install them due to how hot they got!). I felt like I was going to rip the covers just getting them hog-ringed. And just now, 12 years later, they are finally softer to where my hair is not rubbing the headliner! (they felt very stiff like they had little give). I would only replace if the originals are shot or mouse eaten!  My 2 cents.  ;)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
Some of the replacement foam seat "buns" are firm (read hard). They do get softer over time and use. I don't know about the buns for 1979 and newer cars, they may have a different supplier than the ones made for 64 to 73 Mustangs (different molds?). I use new buns in any case. They are usually too tall so I shave about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the bottom.
I installed new front seat foam in my 67' and boy was it hard to get the covers on! Even with the black vinyl being out in the hot August sun
Every seat I've put new seat covers on has been tight, and August is a good time to do it. You don't want the old T-shirt look.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Shasmu

• shastamustangsupply.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:11:39 AM »
When I have to use stiff repro foam, the first thing I do is take a razor blade and remove strips from the center of the foam in strategic areas.   
Shasta Mustang Supply
Redding, Ca