Author Topic: 65-66 Timing Cover Manufacturer?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline sanluis09

65-66 Timing Cover Manufacturer?
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

I hope someone could clarify me this. I've been looking through some timing covers and noticed one that it says is from EngineQuest brand....I've noticed that there is an MA logo on it (see logo indicated on yellow on the picture below)....what does this MA logo stands for??? Are these covers that have this MA logo are actually manufactured by EngineQuest?

Thank you

sanluis09
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65-66 Timing Cover Manufacturer?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »
That would not be an OEM piece for a regular 65-66 289.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the prompt answer! I've just wrote with the sales manager from EngineQuest and he told me this:

Thanks for your interest in our products Luis. The MA on the front of that particular cover is a “mill mark” or “foundry designation” We use several drop cast foundries and die cast foundries around the world and these markings help us identify which foundry poured the timing cover. Yes, these are made for EngineQuest and have been part of our product line for many years.

My doubt was because of an original Mexican unrestored 65 Mustang that has that timing cover.... I was wondering if that timing cover was actually original to the car....as that Mustang was assembled in Mexico, maybe for the law regulations that were on those years that stated that every car sold in Mexico must have at least 60% of mexican components....maybe this timing cover was assembled onto the car here in Mexico....

But, with the response that sent me EngineQuest this doubt has been clarify....and I now know for sure that that timing cover was in some day replaced.... But that take me to another question:

How long or how many miles does an original Ford timing cover last in these cars?

Regards
sanluis09
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Thanks for the prompt answer! I've just wrote with the sales manager from EngineQuest and he told me this:

Thanks for your interest in our products Luis. The MA on the front of that particular cover is a “mill mark” or “foundry designation” We use several drop cast foundries and die cast foundries around the world and these markings help us identify which foundry poured the timing cover. Yes, these are made for EngineQuest and have been part of our product line for many years.

My doubt was because of an original Mexican unrestored 65 Mustang that has that timing cover.... I was wondering if that timing cover was actually original to the car....as that Mustang was assembled in Mexico, maybe for the law regulations that were on those years that stated that every car sold in Mexico must have at least 60% of mexican components....maybe this timing cover was assembled onto the car here in Mexico....

But, with the response that sent me EngineQuest this doubt has been clarify....and I now know for sure that that timing cover was in some day replaced.... But that take me to another question:

How long or how many miles does an original Ford timing cover last in these cars?

Regards
sanluis09
They can last indefinitely depending on conditions. It is somewhat unusual for one to be replaced because it 'wore out". Typical scenario for replacement is parts get misplaced during rebuild or because of external damage . Corrosion from coolent is another. If you are trying to justify a replacement I would not over think it .Things happen no biggie .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
Yes, I suspected that this might have something to do with a foreign-built mustang, which is why I used 'regular 65-66' in my reply.

It's going to be difficult to get information about things like this. 

Regards
sanluis09
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
I've just asked EngineQuest the following:

I wonder if these particular timing covers with the MA mill mark are made only for EngineQuest, or these die cast foundries made these covers for another company before 1987 ?

And this was their answer:

The cover you show in your picture is not a TC351A, it is a TC351C. Both are made at the same foundry. The foundry was not making them for us or anyone else until mid 90’s

So then, I conclude that this timing cover is NOT the original to the car.

Thanks
sanluis09