Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1967 - 1968 / Re: '67 Rear Bumper Guards with Dual Exhaust?
« Last post by Bossbill on Today at 09:43:22 PM »
That's really cool, Bob.
I saw your post about the different Shelby styles in the Saac forum.

Here is a "Hints from Heloise" on the rear valance when you do body work or replace the rear quarters.
Always install the rear valance when putting new quarters on the car or the car has been hit in the rear and you are affecting repair.
If you don't you may find that the valance is either too wide or too narrow as the quarters can move in and out quite a bit during install or repair.

Ask my 65 modified fastback how I know about that.
1967 - 1968 / Re: Photos of 1967 San Jose pinchweld blackout paint
« Last post by Bossbill on Today at 09:26:45 PM »
At what stage in assembly was the car when the blackout was applied?
I've seen assembly line pics of other year Mustangs where the engine was in before the fenders installed.
Since the blackout was applied before the front fenders that narrows things down a bit.

But, was the entire drivetrain and all other undercar components in at the blackout stage or was the black paint applied just after the color coat on the body was applied?

Without Jeff's excellent pics, I'm unsure.
Hi Richard, many thanks for all the points! They are already very helpful.
Regarding the dates, the car was built in Dearborn on Dec 1st, 1967 (5 days ahead of schedule - 06M).
The steering wheel wrap looks a lot like a sport grip 500.

TOB
1969 - 1970 / Re: Carburetor plating the steel parts
« Last post by J_Speegle on Today at 08:50:19 PM »
A shot of the manual choke and related pieces Sorry looks to have been in storage or slightly used at one point

1967 - 1968 / Re: Keys
« Last post by Bob Gaines on Today at 08:05:38 PM »
This is a double cut, Ford key gauge. With this and the decoder book, is all that would be needed to verify the key codes. LOL
Thank you for posting a picture of one . I havn't seen one for years. I looked for one for a time (not to use at shows :) ) but just like my hand key cutter I found it was not practical. I did buy a motorized key cutter that does come in handy to duplicate correct keys from the morphadite or worn out ones that many times end up with cars.  I don't know about anyone else but if I was judging a otherwise perfect car I may wish I had a key gauge in my pocket. I am skeptical if I will ever be put in that position.  ;)
« Last post by krelboyne on Today at 07:42:08 PM »
This is a double cut, Ford key gauge. With this and the decoder book, is all that would be needed to verify the key codes. LOL
1965 - 1970 Shelby / Re: 65 Package Shelf
« Last post by Bob Gaines on Today at 07:08:06 PM »
The number is 182826422001.  Can also find it by search 65 Shelby Package Shelf.
Looks original.   https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=182826422001   Too bad it has been marred with speaker holes. Probably some kind of service part because from the picture it doesn't appear to have been installed with fasteners in the same way a factory panel would have been. That is not really a big deal ether way given the speaker holes. Anyone who is concerned about original details will be put off by the highly visible speaker holes. A virtually perfect reproduction is sold by Shelby parts and restoration that has the texture on the back side to match the original.  You can see that texture from the trunk side which is why it is a important detail. Best of luck with the sale. 
« Last post by Bob Gaines on Today at 06:56:07 PM »
As always, appreciate the answers.

I gather the aluminum, round hole with correct markings is a dealer sourced item in that same time period? Simply, another set of keys, but not correct to the car as delivered.
I don't think it was the same time period as when the 67 cars were produced. I havn't devoted a lot of time to it because it was not assemblyline so if someone has more definitive information I am all ears. I am not sure when the aluminum key started but I am under the impression it was around the early 70's  shortly before the oval keys started. Original type keys are still prevalent enough that it shouldn't be a problem sourcing them. Go on ebay at any given time and you can typically find them. They may even repro them now.
1967 - 1968 / Re: '67 Rear Bumper Guards with Dual Exhaust?
« Last post by Bob Gaines on Today at 06:44:22 PM »
The "Illustrated Facts" book, under the heading of "Engine Exhaust Systems" is certainly confusing.
On page 29 is this gem:
"All Mustang GT models are equipped with a dual exhaust system. This system consists of dual exhaust pipes, and [sic] equalizer pipe, dual "node" chambers and resonators, dual exhaust outlet pipes, and dual chrome exhaust outlet tips extending under [my emphasis] the rear modesty panel. This same system, with the exception of the chrome exhaust tips, is included on all other Mustangs equipped with the 289 - cubic - inch High - Performance V - 8. All other Mustangs are equipped with a single exhaust system."

The page then has a chart that obliterates a lot of what was just said and shows only 289 Hi-Po and 390 cars got dual exhaust.

So, the first sentence is wrong (according to the chart).
The paragraph indicates that all exhaust goes under [my emphasis] the modesty panel (aka valance/valence) and then goes to say the Hi-Po does not get the dual outlet pipes. I wondered where I got that idea from.

Page 22 say the the GT Equipment group includes " . . . -- plus  dual exhaust system with bright "quad"  extensions [not "dual . . . tips"] on 390 and 289 High - Performance V - 8".

Then finally, and appearing nowhere else is the note on page 30 that the Hi-Po is available only "(with GT Equip. Only)"

This whole business of what is correct with respect to dual exhaust has been muddled by the "facts" book.
A interesting 67 rear valence tidbit. Shelby American had to improvise to begin with on the blank rear valance because of the duel exhaust exhaust tips used on all regular production 67 Shelby cars.   The early production cars had to have the rear valance cut out by SA employees and modified with a made up trim ring using left over 66 exhaust parts because the duel exhaust rear valance had not been released yet. Once Ford released the new part the Shelby's were built at Ford like all other Mustangs that got the duel exhaust rear valance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10