Author Topic: Insulator - Front Suspension Spring - Rubber  (Read 1814 times)

Offline 67gta289

Insulator - Front Suspension Spring - Rubber
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:20:22 PM »
Regarding Ford part# 5415, identified as INSULATOR- FRONT SUSPENSION SPRING- RUBBER, I thought I would post some pictures of what I think are original parts from my car, as well as a comparison to Ford NOS parts.

In the first picture you can see the full engineering part number, C4DA-5415-A.

The Ford NOS parts have stickers identifying the parts as C4DZ-5415-A, but the part number is not part of the rubber at all.

As far as a comparison of the original vs. NOS parts in general, the look and flexibility are indistinguishable.

The last picture is from the 67 MPC.

I don't have any pictures of reproductions to show those differences.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

Re: Insulator - Front Suspension Spring - Rubber
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »
Regarding Ford part# 5415, identified as INSULATOR- FRONT SUSPENSION SPRING- RUBBER, I thought I would post some pictures of what I think are original parts from my car, as well as a comparison to Ford NOS parts.
In the first picture you can see the full engineering part number, C4DA-5415-A.
The Ford NOS parts have stickers identifying the parts as C4DZ-5415-A, but the part number is not part of the rubber at all.
As far as a comparison of the original vs. NOS parts in general, the look and flexibility are indistinguishable.
The fourth position (usually) of a Ford part number indicates the design department, procurement and/or control of the part number. Letters "V", "Y" and "Z" are reserved for dealer serviced parts, the "V" is Lincoln, "Y" is Mercury and "Z" is Ford. The majority of the other letters are assigned to different engineering groups that designed the part or to special uses, "X" experimental. After the car is built and sent to a dealer, parts needed are identified with a "Z". You order a part from a dealer with a "Z", the box is marked with a "Z", it's stocked with a "Z" and sold it with a "Z". What is inside the box, the actual part, may be marked with the original engineering number, or not marked at all. This is normal. Ford sold cars, not documents. This entire scenario is to service cars with something that works, not to insure that a concourse grade part is used. Over time, parts change, different sources, different Ford service management. Also remember that by regulation, a car or truck manufacturer is required to supply parts for ten years minimum. It's the restorers who are left figuring out, did I buy a NOS part, or something in a box that works.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Insulator - Front Suspension Spring - Rubber
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »
Jim,

I agree, and this was not a surprise or disappointment.  The primary purpose was to continue the discussion of factory vs. NOS parts.  With the number of participants here I don't think that this particular topic will ever be complete.  The secondary purpose was to get some pictures of original parts on record, with part numbers, so that someone that searches can find them.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660