Author Topic: Ford power steering pump color  (Read 4857 times)

Offline DKutz

Ford power steering pump color
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
I have seen that the ford pump canisters are either black or teal blue.  Does anyone know if there was a specific transition?  Early cars tend to be blue or black. What about later cars?  I know you can be "wrong" with either, just would like to narrow it down.
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Ford power steering pump color
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
no transition period. ford built pumps are teal blue and the thompson pump is black. the tag on the rear indicated who built it.
5F09C331248

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
Is there any way to tell which style your car would have come with originally?
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Is there any way to tell which style your car would have come with originally?

Not for 100% sure. It would require a survey of original cars built at the same time same plant. Unfortunately the information is not easy to see (unlike - for example PB  boosters)  and collect - you need to look at the id label attached to the back side
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
Not for 100% sure. It would require a survey of original cars built at the same time same plant. Unfortunately the information is not easy to see (unlike - for example PB  boosters)  and collect - you need to look at the id label attached to the back side
Maybe I'm missing something...but couldn't one tell by the color of the pump itself without looking at the ID label?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline DKutz

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something...but couldn't one tell by the color of the pump itself without looking at the ID label?

Yeah but chances of the pump being original to the car are pretty slim
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:01:25 AM »

Often owners just rattle can them black - or as rebuilt exchanges

Yeah but chances of the pump being original to the car are pretty slim

Guess it depends on the car - most of the cars I've owned over the years - may be 70 or so)  had their original pumps

Also some rebuilds come as just the pump so you reuse the can and tag
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:03:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
OK well I just sent mine out to Chockostang to be rebuilt.  Came back Teal.  Told him I didn't care what color, so he must like teal.  OR the tag told him it should be teal.  Either way it looks great!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
I was looking at mine the other day.  It is a black Thompson style, and the tag shows it to be a correct model for my car, but the tag also says "remanufactured" on it.  So I know it's been replaced.

I was reading the PS pump ID page on the 428CJ site.  I'll have to ask over there about the distribution of Ford vs. Thompson pumps for the '70 CJ cars.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 02:07:39 AM »
I was reading the PS pump ID page on the 428CJ site.  I'll have to ask over there about the distribution of Ford vs. Thompson pumps for the '70 CJ cars.

Would expect that you'll find examples made by both suppliers like all the other 66-73 pumps
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »
no transition period. ford built pumps are teal blue and the thompson pump is black. the tag on the rear indicated who built it.
The Ford Thompson pump "F" on tag is a teal blue (somewhat a batch paint because it varied). The TRW pump "W" on tag was painted black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
For clarification -The Ford Thompson pump "F" on tag is a teal blue (somewhat a batch paint because it varied). The TRW pump "W" on tag was painted black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby