Author Topic: Shock tower caps finish  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Bongoman

Shock tower caps finish
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
I read the 69-70 FAQ complied by Jeff Speegle and really appreciate the information.  It has been invaluable.  However, I seem to have found an inconsistency between the information in the FAQ and the MCA 1969-1970 Judging Rules. 

This relates to the finish of the shock tower caps.  The FAQ indicates the "front upper shock mounts" were phosphate and oil for cars from Dearborn and Metuchen and semi gloss black for San Jose cars.  The MCA judging rules at page 7 Section 4. ENGINE, subsection X, Firewall and Inner Fender Panels states "Shock tower caps, natural." 

Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that "shock tower caps" and "front upper shock mounts" are the same thing.  If not, can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Is the word "natural" used interchangeably with "phosphate and oil" in the MCA rules?  If not, what does natural finish mean?  Unpainted/uncoated and free to oxidize/rust?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Shock tower caps finish
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
Sometimes the MCA website will state "natural" when in fact the part was phosphate. I had to redo my accelerator linkage because the website stated natural.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that "shock tower caps" and "front upper shock mounts" are the same thing.  If not, can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Unfortunately there are often more than one term for many of the parts and finishes resulting in some confusion at times. Yes these could be the same thing

Is the word "natural" used interchangeably with "phosphate and oil" in the MCA rules?  If not, what does natural finish mean?  Unpainted/uncoated and free to oxidize/rust?

As Sunlitgold68 wrote when MCA lists "natural" it often refers to "non-painted" Believe a note is included at the beginning of the rules book listing a similar explaination

In some cases MCA does list a specific plated finish. Most of the time when the plating varied between years - a result of the years past where all the years and models were on the same sheets
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bongoman

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
Thanks Sunlit and Jeff.

So. . . what is your thought about the finish of shock tower caps for a 70 San Jose car?  Painted Semi-gloss black or natural/phosphate and oil?

Thanks.
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »

So. . . what is your thought about the finish of shock tower caps for a 70 San Jose car?  Painted Semi-gloss black or natural/phosphate and oil?

Semi-gloss black is the finish in everyone I see on original cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
Semi-gloss black is the finish in everyone I see on original cars

Is this true for a 5/13/69 San Jose car as well? I just finished cleaning mine up while my engine is out and all indicators point to them being unpainted from the factory.

MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:05:06 AM »

Is this true for a 5/13/69 San Jose car as well? I just finished cleaning mine up while my engine is out and all indicators point to them being unpainted from the factory.

Yes - semi-gloss black IMHO . Never seen an original San Jose car with natural caps. And I've seen allot of em ;)
Jeff Speegle