Author Topic: 1979 Positive Battery Cables - which one is right for your car  (Read 1812 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

I had someone ask me about the correct 1979 Mustang Positive Battery Cable.  I did some research and found this.  I thought this might be helpful for us Concours people.

"This is a good question. 

I asked Rick Schmidt from NPD the same question a couple of years ago and he gave me a picture of the 1979 Mustang VIN ending in 001. 

Here is the picture - It says D7SF14300AA

So, I was fortunate enough to find this cable NOS

More on this cable in a second.

I have a friend (Steve, C5ZZ) who is the original owner of a V8 Pace Car.  He gave me this picture of his original positive battery cable

Wait, the 001 car from Rick was a Turbo 4 car, and it used D7SF14300AA but the Pace Car is D4ZF14300BA

So, which one is it?  Maybe the Turbo 4 Car used a different cable because it was a Turbo 4 compared to the V8.

So how do these cables line up?  Well, I was fortunate enough to find a D4ZF14300BA NOS cable too.  Thank God!  I found both on Ebay.  Ironically it was from the same seller.  They said they only had one cable each time, but found another one. 

Here are the two compared to each other.

The D4 cable is on top.  Also note the red end on the D4 compared to the black end on the D7 cable.  More on that in a second.

What is weird is that the D4 cable is thinner than the D7 cable?  I would think this would be opposite for a V8 car compared to a Turbo 4?

So remember the red end on the D4 cable.

Well, here is a picture of a 300 mile V8 Pace car engine.  Notice the color of the positive cable end attached to the solenoid.

I know you are looking for one.  I understand.  I did a search for you and I could not find any out there.  My advice would be to look at Ebay under 'Motorcraft battery cables'  Neither of these were advertised for a 1979.  Good luck and I hope this helps."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:56:22 AM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6