Author Topic: 69 Carb solenoid wiring  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Scott302

69 Carb solenoid wiring
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »
I need some help.  I cannot locate any references to the wiring of the carb idle solenoid.  I need to trace the wire back to the firewall.  Out the back of the solenoid is the short blue wire.  What does that blue wire plug into and what harness is this wire part of? What connector at the firewall?
Thanks
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 69 Carb solenoid wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »
I know the answer for a 1970, but I have not seen any wiring on a 69 that provides for the carb idle solenoid on any underdash or engine bay harness I've seen with the possible exception of a Boss car.  In that case, they seemed to have used a large female bullet (green) with green wiring that normally would be for the AC compressor, but the wire itself was tied into the ignition.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Really hard to find any factory documentation since it was a really late option. And of course allot of owners removed the solenoid and jumper wire it seem during modifications

As for 70 there were two single wire female connection at the firewall junction point.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fla2005

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Check with Bob Perkins as he might have an answer. I know he has a 1970 Boss in his collection but I don't know about a 1969. Isn't Rick's Boss 429 a 1969 model ? Maybe firewall wiring can provide a clue.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
Unfortunately 70 appear to be different enough to not much those any help and firewall loom didn't offer allot.  Checked other 70 applications for the those solenoid options but there is no assurance that they are the same (M code applications)

Will check, at least, if the one unused plug on mine could be a source for the motor/solenoid  tomorrow but it will not answer the color of the jumper or plug
Jeff Speegle

Offline Scott302

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
Midlife,
So are you saying that the wire is a stand alone connection at the firewall and not part of any multi terminal firewall connection???
Regards,
Scott

In that case, they seemed to have used a large female bullet (green) with green wiring that normally would be for the AC compressor, but the wire itself was tied into the ignition.
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Did look and test my 69 the other day when I was at the shop - It only had an unused (no solenoid wire hooked up to the engine yet) green wire and it was not energized when the key was in the on position
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
Scott and Jeff:
I am going on memory of a wiring harness I did about 2-3 years ago, and only remember that it was a 69 Boss or Shelby.  What was strange was that it had all of the wiring for A/C, but one of the lines at the RHS of the harness that normally goes out through the firewall had no continuity.  I unwrapped the tape and found that wire cut under the tape.  I then traced the other end (from the firewall side) and found it tied into the ignition switch run-only lines.  Very very strange. 

I dug through my files and found it on a Boss 302 harness that I converted to tach.  In my correspondence to this customer, I made this note: "I asked on a concours Mustang forum about the B2 wiring, and they responded that there was a carb antistall dashpot function. " The date was July, 2013.  Here's that thread:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6790.0

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »
OK...I have a customer who brought over at the Pensacola show a Boss 302 underdash harness that is early in production.  After looking at it, I said it was an AC car, but he said no Boss302 (except one for a Ford exec) had AC.  I then remembered that some Boss's used one of the AC lines that connects beyond the firewall that is tied into a RUN-only line coming from the ignition.  By happenstance, this customer was examining another Boss 302 and it had a green wire with a large female bullet connector coming out of the firewall, just like his. 

My suspicion is that this line is the primary power for the rev limiter, but have no documentation to prove that.  On the Boss2 being examined, power was taken from the + side of the coil by aftermarket wiring.

Nevertheless, I will be refurbishing this harness next weekend.  What, if any thing, would anyone like me to examine and/or prove regarding this unusual wiring on the underdash harness?  I am more than willing to take pictures and document whatever one wants.

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
OK...finished refurbishing an early Boss 302 underdash harness.  What sticks out is that it is wired (almost) for AC.  The lead that goes out to the passenger compartment typically runs to the passenger side to hook up to a switch; instead, that line is cut and spliced with a factory OEM splice with the run-only line coming off of the ignition.  The AC connectors and lines are taped off to indicate that they aren't used.

While examining a Boss last week, it appears that the rev limiter needs run-only power to provide power to that unit.  I wonder if this green lead, normally for the AC clutch, is used for the rev limiter or for the carb solenoid.

Anyway, here's a picture of the OEM factory splice and the taped-up AC lines.