Author Topic: 66 K code 4 speed drive shaft findings  (Read 10233 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 K code 4 speed drive shaft findings
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
Because the OP found a black and blue stripe on his HiPo Metuchen Oct 65 kar, does that mean Tony Gregory's 289 HiPo 4th edition book is wrong on page 164 when is says the drive shaft has 2 purple stripes and 1 pink stripe?

Possibly no. We see markings change during production years so what may have been correct for a May car might be completely different for a Dec car. I went to cataloging them by car production month to track and compare them - especially the 65-66 Hipo examples

Also few original examples remain after all these years and a fair number of owners have IMHO simply made up markings as a result of pressure they put on themselves to have something there.

When asked a number have simply responded no they aren't original but who will ever know  ::)

Note:  I found the number 307 in pink on my rear yoke which shares the same part number C3AA-4868-G and my kar is also a Metuchen Oct 23 1965 K-code fastback.

May be a mark that the shop that replaced the tube and balanced it added.  Normally you will find color (for a number of purposes)  sprays and or daubs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »
Will leave these pics in this thread showing some details of the ends. Note the 757(S UN?) cast into end and also notch
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
Will leave these pics in this thread showing some details of the ends. Note the 757(S UN?) cast into end and also notch

Have the same on some other 65-66 non- K code examples
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Possibly no. We see markings change during production years so what may have been correct for a May car might be completely different for a Dec car. I went to cataloging them by car production month to track and compare them - especially the 65-66 Hipo examples

Also few original examples remain after all these years and a fair number of owners have IMHO simply made up markings as a result of pressure they put on themselves to have something there.

When asked a number have simply responded no they aren't original but who will ever know  ::)

May be a mark that the shop that replaced the tube and balanced it added.  Normally you will find color (for a number of purposes)  sprays and or daubs

J Speegle,
Not sure if you got the update but my driveline has been confirmed to be original. Fred Ballard confirmed it as well as the casting number on the yoke is the correct casting number. 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:59:02 PM »
J Speegle,
Not sure if you got the update but my driveline has been confirmed to be original. Fred Ballard confirmed it as well as the casting number on the yoke is the correct casting number.

Never posted the ends were not original   :)

Don't see any "update" since you only posted once
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
Never posted the ends were not original   :)

Don't see any "update" since you only posted once

Interesting.  Would someone really go through the trouble of replacing the driveline tube and keeping the yokes vs just buying a new driveline?  I didn't realize people were doing that.  Why do you think my tube has been replaced exactly? 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Interesting.  Would someone really go through the trouble of replacing the driveline tube and keeping the yokes vs just buying a new driveline? I didn't realize people were doing that. 

New drivelines for applications (not discussing aftermarket ones) are a more recent thing. Before Jack was doing them it was common to have driveline shops make them. Sometime you provided the ends or they had some that fit the requirements. Other times you used a U joint that sort adapted one yoke to another. I ran a Ford driveline in a modified Chevy for many years  Having one made locally I believe is still cheaper than buying one of the reproductions but of course they don't look the same

Driveline in my Fiber Fab Mustang was made for me.

Why do you think my tube has been replaced exactly?

Didn't you have a picture in an earlier post that showed the end of the driveline you have, the yoke and the weights ?
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »

Didn't you have a picture in an earlier post that showed the end of the driveline you have, the yoke and the weights ?

Yes, this one, right?  If so, what makes you know it's not factory original? 

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
Is the C3AA-4868-G slip yoke only for K codes or can they be used on other applications like A codes?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »

Welding of the tube to the yoke differs from other examples. Weights are not the style nor attached like originally used
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
The weights . Yes you would want to have the drive shaft re tubed over buying a new after market driveshaft. In years past that is how every body did it (not just the restoration crowd) . Both ends will typically look different on a after market replacement drive shaft.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby