Author Topic: Firewall Inspection Stamps 69 San Jose ?  (Read 602 times)

Offline HeavyMetal69

Firewall Inspection Stamps 69 San Jose ?
« on: April 30, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
I am new to this Forum and my first post. Looking for Firewall Inspection Stamps for my 69 San Jose Build. Does anyone know where I can pick these up and information on paint colors used and how/where to apply them? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:26:39 PM by J_Speegle »
69 Mach 1 built 12/17/68 @ San Jose. 351w m code, automatic, visibility group, power steering & brakes, tilt away steering, air, tinted glass & tac.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Inspection Stamps 69 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support here helpful in your restoration (s)

On a 69 built at San Jose there was not typically a stamp applied to the firewall. San Jose had a different process than Dearborn and NJ ( they were also different from one another) and typically what you will find is paint inspector ink/paint stamps confirming that inspections were done. Many sub assemblies would also have assembler and inspection checks and marks but those would be shared with other plants and cars that shared the same supplier - not all plants received parts from the same supplier though

The unibody was typically stamped on the underside of the trunk lid while the following individual parts were stamped.

Fenders, hood, headlight buckets and cowl cover. There were at head two different versions of stamps the inspectors were using during 69 production some of the older guys ( in that position) continued to use an earlier version before changing over while another group us part of their name (first or last depending on how long it  was)  Patterns as to who was working and what style of stamp stamp was being used has been documented when available. For your cars period mostly the name were used for the stamps. I've identified 8 of them so far. 

Some of these are shown in a basic paint mark article in the Library section of the site. Since your new you may not have explored that area of the site yet

Again welcome
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:21:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Inspection Stamps 69 San Jose ?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:21:17 PM »
On most 69 San Jose cars the unibody would have been been stamped by an inspector over on that line while another inspector would be doing the individually painted items in another area. Colors used the stamping was normally a contrasting color - could be green, blue, red  or yellow. If you posted the color of your car I could see what some of the inspectors used on those colored cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)