Author Topic: Judging a 1967 390 motor  (Read 4133 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Judging a 1967 390 motor
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
Hi there!
    I was wonder if someone could help me on this. I received my 390 back from the machine shop. I had it completely rebuilt after sending it back once before. After returning it the second time, it appears the machine shop used a heavy gauge wire wheel to remove the paint from the intake manifold. While doing so they ground down a lot of the number on top of the manifold. You can still see them and they are still slightly raised, but ground down a bit. Will this cause a reduction in points or do I need to continue to look for a date correct manifold.
Thanks for all your help,
Travis Waters
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:14:20 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Judging a 1967 390 motor
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
can you post a picture??
5F09C331248

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
I added the pictures above.
Thanks
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the pictures - they tell the story allot better.

There are two ways to look at this detail from the MCA perspective as I see it.  On one hand in Concours one judge might interpet the instruction that we (judges) are not to consider dates while judging the car. But I think this goes beyond that and instead becomes the features rather than part numbers an dates - since that don't car about specific dates but instead what stock casting should look like. With that said there is a fair amount IMHO of variation in castings. Some sharper some not as crisp depending on the age of the master and such.

Also considering the amount of paint some restorers are being allow to get away with can often give a washed out look to the metal parts below. I thing that you might be able to save these details by rounding the ground off top surface by hand. Will take some time but I think you could likely get by with that being done

The firing order is pretty heavily ground - that one might not be salvageable but at this point what are your options?

Rear one, with the air cleaner, hoes, wires and everything else in the way isn't going to be easy to see as it is on a completed car but you will still know. Just for your personal fulfillment I would start looking if its going to bug you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:07:04 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
It really does bug the heck out of me, I'll keep looking.
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:44 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
It really does bug the heck out of me, I'll keep looking.

As it would bug me also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
It would really bug me that they did that however I dont think it would be worthy of a point deduction
sucks what some shops do.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »
It would really bug me that they did that however I dont think it would be worthy of a point deduction
sucks what some shops do. The one thing I am always on watch for is machine shop not milling deck beyond head mating surface. Easy to grind off assembly date
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:53 AM »
It is sad that the rest of the natural world doesn't respect the heart of a true restorer. Machine shops are no different. The processes used are what is "fastest" for them to accomplish the basic task at hand. Leaving instructions are not always the best way either since the person receiving those intructions usually are not the ones doing the work.

For anyone else reading this, I believe this is a great example of why SOME THING YOU MUST DO YOURSELF or be prepaired for such consequences. Easy Off oven cleaner on Cast Iron parts works great. Nasty as it is to get your hands dirty, but a bit of scraping and a bit of spray goes a long way. Do it twice or three times if needed to get all of the crud off. When having an item Hot Tanked (such as this intake manifold, heads or a block), the machine shops generally DO NOT just throw them in all greasy and filthy. THEY USUALLY PRE-CLEAN them too, so this part of the job we ought to do ourselves, IMHO Worth it in the end, or in hind sight. I've seen this damage many times back when I built engines for a living and sent multiple items in at a time for several builds. I let THEM do this step because it was easier. Back then, I didn't care because it only had to run good and hold paint to look good.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
I understand your pain but I wouldn't write the manifold off just yet, as there are creative ways to recover the casting marks......
I have used modellers plastic cement/putty to build up the profile of a ground down part number and then used a fine pick or engraver to sharpen up/highlight the edges. Once the part is painted the edges become more rounded and so it looks more natural and I don't think that anyone would ever know unless you told them.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:33 PM »
Thanks everyone, I found a intake in great condition with a casting date 8 days earlier than the one that was messed up.

Travis Waters

Mine -