Author Topic: 1969 fuel tank drain plug  (Read 1991 times)

Offline astat1

1969 fuel tank drain plug
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
This topic was touched on but I was wondering if a hard time frame is known for the proper addition or omission of the fuel tank drain plug. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 fuel tank drain plug
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
Guessing your asking about Dearborn produced cars - correct?

The change over date for that plant has been estimated to be  May 69 if I remember correctly - can't find that note at the moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline astat1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
Yes Jeff, a 69 GT500. Do you think for a late May car, a drain would be correct, or correct enough not to be a deduction in DivII? Were the drains coming or going towards the end of the 69 builds? Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:01 AM »
Yes Jeff, a 69 GT500. Do you think for a late May car, a drain would be correct, or correct enough not to be a deduction in Div II? Were the drains coming or going towards the end of the 69 builds? Thanks

Hmmmm guessing what another judge ( a typically grumpy one at that ;) would do is difficult to anticipate. We went for the drain plug on a very early April car but believe that my late April Boss should have had no drain plug.  If you already have a tank with a drain then I think you have to choose between the cost and effort of swapping it out and the possibility of losing a point or taking the gamble.

Have not heard of anyone claiming (with an original car) of mixed (old and newer shipments) on late cars. And though it has been used as an explanation/excuse for many years Ford did not warehouse a great backlog of parts for the assembly plants IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline astat1

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:15:36 AM »
I kind of figured I was close to the changeover but was just curious as to the date. When I replaced my tank last year I did so without consulting the forum and made the mistake going by photos of other cars. That goes in my growing learning curve pile of errors. Thanks