Author Topic: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread  (Read 28136 times)

Offline tobkob

Re: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »
Maybe there was only one template in the multi-pac box?

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970

Offline specialed

« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
I have a 69shelby antenna template for both fastback & convertible  & they are different.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
I have not seen that template before. Unfortunately for me the template is marked for model 63 fastback. I only have convertibles to compare it to.  I blew the picture up to the size of the 1.12 hole and measured approximately 13 inches from the center of the hole and the edge of the rear quarter where it mates to the end cap. I measured from the center of the hole approximately 2 3/4 to the edge or body line crown.

I just had a chance to measure 2060 ( model 63 fastback) and mine is 12.5 inches from rear and 3 inches from the the body edge crown. I guess not bad if the installer was guessing ;) I'm curious what some of the others measure since like you stated I have observed a lot of different examples covering a pretty broad area.

TOB
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:15:43 PM by tobkob »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2016, 12:50:50 PM »
If anyone would like to post measurements, from the rear of the quarter (not including end cap) and how far in from the edge of the fender (they don't have to be precise) that would be a great help for me to get a better idea for me as to where to put my hole saw down on my new rear fender. The car looks really clean without the antenna at all, but I know it will be more correct with the antenna in place.

TIA

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »
Got out my quarter window glass last night and while cleaning them up I noticed the passenger side is a non factory replacement . Side by side you can see its not tinted and the clear one does not have the Carlite logo. I'm looking at replacements on ebay and see some do not have the rod in the lower pivot point of the frame. Is this part of the frame or does it come out? I tried a little persuasion on my clear one but did not want to break anything if not.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »
Guess it's been a while since I have updated this thread. It's been a long and trying road, but the car is finally getting painted, or its at least getting the red sprayed on. I have to do the rest.

I did try to search for the answer, but the search comes up with so many hits, and I am sorry, but I'm tired tonight.
I need to paint the black items. What type of black was used on these parts?

*Bottom of hood (yes, the edge is body color)
*Back of front valance
*Taillight panel
*Rear Quarter caps (same as the taillight panel?)

Thanks for the assistance.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:21 AM »
Guess it's been a while since I have updated this thread. It's been a long and trying road, but the car is finally getting painted, or its at least getting the red sprayed on. I have to do the rest.

I did try to search for the answer, but the search comes up with so many hits, and I am sorry, but I'm tired tonight.
I need to paint the black items. What type of black was used on these parts?

*Bottom of hood (yes, the edge is body color)
*Back of front valance
*Taillight panel
*Rear Quarter caps (same as the taillight panel?)

Thanks for the assistance.
A satin black on the parts in question. Don't forget the black out done on the front valance in the area of the front park lights  (it is meant to match the blackout on the park light bezels). That area is commonly forgotten.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tobkob

« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »
Remember, the edge of the black under the hood is an uneven soft mask, not a neatly masked edge.  ;)

TOB

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
A satin black on the parts in question. Don't forget the black out done on the front valance in the area of the front park lights  (it is meant to match the blackout on the park light bezels). That area is commonly forgotten.

Thanks Bob. Yes, I saved pictures of the front valance black out areas, and I am sure at some point I saved the text about the type of black, but all I can find now that I need it is the pictures.

Remember, the edge of the black under the hood is an uneven soft mask, not a neatly masked edge.  ;)

TOB

That is one thing I can remember and I will be doing as the painter does not quite understand.

Thak you both.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
In an post from 2010, it was asked:

Quote from: cjmustangman on April 21, 2010, 01:52:07 PM
also should the entire cowl be blacked out ?

Jeff answered:

Depends on when the car was assembled IMHO Early cars were not (just painted black up to the pinchweld on the firewall then shot along the lower edge of the windshield opening) and late cars were painted from firewall to bottom edge of windshield opening from the original cars I've seen built in 69 at Dearborn

So my 69 Shelby GT350 built 4/14/69 as far as I can tell did not have the cowl blacked out, but this could be wrong. It could have had the back edge blacked out for the ducting to not show. The cover to the windshield wiper motor is black. So when looking through the cowl cover, you would see the car color, and the black WW motor cover, or should this area also be blacked out?

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »
Pics of my progress:

edit: changed from full pix to thumbnails. Click on any pix to view in the photo gallery.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:46:20 PM by 69GT350H »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
In an post from 2010, it was asked:

Quote from: cjmustangman on April 21, 2010, 01:52:07 PM
also should the entire cowl be blacked out ?

Jeff answered:

Depends on when the car was assembled IMHO Early cars were not (just painted black up to the pinchweld on the firewall then shot along the lower edge of the windshield opening) and late cars were painted from firewall to bottom edge of windshield opening from the original cars I've seen built in 69 at Dearborn

So my 69 Shelby GT350 built 4/14/69 as far as I can tell did not have the cowl blacked out, but this could be wrong. It could have had the back edge blacked out for the ducting to not show. The cover to the windshield wiper motor is black. So when looking through the cowl cover, you would see the car color, and the black WW motor cover, or should this area also be blacked out?
Yes it would be typical that a car built that late would have the cowl blacked out along with the other painted surfaces under the vented cowl panel.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:23:18 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »
Pics of my progress:

edit: changed from full pix to thumbnails. Click on any pix to view in the photo gallery.
The picture infers that you are installing the carpet. I would suggest installing all of the firewall pad, dash structure and wiring before installing the carpet. less wear and possible damage to carpet that way. 

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
The picture infers that you are installing the carpet. I would suggest installing all of the firewall pad, dash structure and wiring before installing the carpet. less wear and possible damage to carpet that way.

I agree, was just laying out the carpet that had been rolled up in its original box for the past 25 years. Test fitting to see what problems I might run into in the near future.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
Your pics are now too small, cannot enlarge them and I lost my magnifying lens ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments