Author Topic: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread  (Read 24477 times)

Online 69GT350H

Re: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
As far as holding the car up, I am going to build a cradle that uses the 4 wheel dollies to roll around on, and have the car supported by the assembly line points.  This way I can remove the suspension to work on it, and finish up stripping and re-painting/coating the undercarriage.

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 04:33:35 AM »
if you remove the clip that holds the upper end of the rear axle vent tube to floor it'll show some kind of primer or batch paint sealer. mine was like battleship grey.  june gt500

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
if you remove the clip that holds the upper end of the rear axle vent tube to floor it'll show some kind of primer or batch paint sealer. mine was like battleship grey.  june gt500

Pulled the clip off, and here is what I found. I see very dark, close to black if not black, I see red, and I see maroon. What do you see?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
.....What do you see?

We've got batch!!!  :) As expected

With exterior overspray it looks like that when viewed through the overspray on a dark grey background might look maroon or purple.  WOuld expect (not always) that you'll find red oxide color at the front frame rails in front of the firewall

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:03 PM »
I figured it was batch, but I'm still trying to determine the color (yes, its a mixture), so I can do my best to reproduce it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
As mentioned in other threads I started with a early 2000's VW exterior color and tinted it to match what we found for the April 2nd Shelby I did.

Pictures in that thread of the resulting floor color
Jeff Speegle

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
This is a little confusing, right by the bolt hole you can see a lighter red color that was under the bracket. Then there is a patch of a very dark color with a dark maroon color around the edge of that. Then its all surface rust.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
This is a little confusing, right by the bolt hole you can see a lighter red color that was under the bracket. Then there is a patch of a very dark color with a dark maroon color around the edge of that. Then its all surface rust.

Think what your seeing is typical its just that you've not had allot of experience with these details. If the overspray is over the gray batch then as you clean the overspray is removed, leaving the area cleaned the batch color and the area around the well cleaned area will be the overspray that hasn't been cleaned through and outside of that the uncleaned (less cleaned) area/surface

What I normally do, since I often have to share/convince other of what I'm seeing at the moment. Is to take a series of pictures as I clean through the layers. that way others can see layer 1 being removed, to expose layer 2, then expose layer 3..... and so on.

Will see if I have one of those examples available

Guess I can just share a floor section (have a collection in a bag) when I've cleaned the layers though that will not show the progression.
Jeff Speegle

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
My first pictures were of the area cleaned with Mineral Spirits. The second I hit it with 1000 grit. No, I do not have any experience looking for color on the bottom of the car. When I was starting all this I was ready to paint it with the Red Oxide color as I was seeing in other photos of restored cars. It looks nicer than batch, but it would be wrong for those trying to restore it back to factory as it came off the line.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
Built a cradle to hold the car so I can take the suspension off. Still need to add two more casters to the middle to keep it from sagging (Its holding the weight, but causing a change in angle on the existing casters), using the tire dollies for now. Pressure cleaned the front end to get the dirt and loose seam sealer off. In these photos you can see the Red Oxide primer between the shock tower and front radiator support along with the factory "D" mark on the passenger side. The radiator support is painted black on both sides and from the cowl area the body color fades to the shock towers where it is... well, rusty for now. Drivers side shows about the same but w/o any factory markings except for the yellow stripe on the front coil springs.

Online 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Looks dangerous to me...be careful. IMHO, I would rethink this cradle. Bump into a crack in the pavement and a collapse looks imminent.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
It has been tested and its very stable. It was originally a crate to ship outboard motors (250HP) in. I had two crates and it took me about 1/2 hour just to tear one apart for the materials to supplement the one I used. I used pegs in the holes in the frame rails to keep the car from moving on the posts.  Its main purpose is to move the car from the garage to the driveway where I work on it. Luckily there are no bumps or cracks for it to roll over, just a slight incline for liquids to run out of the garage and down the driveway.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »
Took the dash out and hit it with 55 psi fine sand to clean the paint and rust off the front. Going to need to do a little more on the back side.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Have the firewall mostly stripped. Cleaning it up getting it ready to seal it back up and paint it. If anyone needs any photos of anything specific let me know.

Also, here is my original firewall pad. What ever that was above it totally fell apart and is useless.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »
I've been busy, here is some interior work

Took care of all the rust and primered the interior

Followed by a coat of Red

Took care of all the rust, replaced the glove box door and painted the metal dash