Author Topic: '67 & '68 289 power steering hose routing and rear pump brackets - differences  (Read 16995 times)

Offline socalgt

I've been through many, many posts of the routing of the hoses......and seen many pictures of how they should connect to the valve....but I'm trying to find a picture of exactly how they are positioned before they go through the rubber insulator....over the slave cylinder?   under?  I can't find a picture that specifically shows it.  When correctly attached to the valve(based on some excellent posts of original, NOS and replacement) they are pointed more vertically than towards the rubber insulator that they need to go through.  And on the subject of the insulator...exactly how is the insulator bracket attached?...I assume the hole is threaded in the motor mount on an original power steering car...does the upper half of the bracket go inside with the bolt going through towards the back of the car?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:23:18 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 289 power steering hose routing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
... When correctly attached to the valve(based on some excellent posts of original, NOS and replacement) they are pointed more vertically than towards the rubber insulator that they need to go through.  And on the subject of the insulator...exactly how is the insulator bracket attached?...I assume the hole is threaded in the motor mount on an original power steering car...does the upper half of the bracket go inside with the bolt going through towards the back of the car?
You are correct, in the other thread the hoses look to be going somewhat vertically, towards exhaust manifold but bend frontwards immediately in the rubber portion of the hose. There is a bracket that bolts down to one of the motor mount long frame bracket bolts. Then there is a somewhat "D" shaped strap that surrounds the rubber insulator.  That "D"-shaped bracket is bolted with a self-threading 5/16" bolt into the bracket held on with the engine frame mount. The return hose then goes straight into the pump, the pressure hose however, circle around through a strap on the strut tower and downwards into the pressure port on the back side of the pump.

I do not have assembled pictures of these things other than the ones that you likely have already seen in the other thread.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:52:17 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the information.....I spend an awful lot of time searching Mustang forums, including this one, as well as GOOGLE trying to find information like this.  Would be nice to have the factory assembly manual(assuming it is well illustrated) for things such as this.  It was easier to restore midyear corvettes with the factory assembly manual and judging manuals available so specific and well diagramed.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:40:42 PM »
I'm still not sure exactly how the insulator bracket itself mounts to the frame.....can't find a picture....is there a bolt(self threading) that goes into an existing hole in the motor mount? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:58:27 PM »
I'm still not sure exactly how the insulator bracket itself mounts to the frame.....can't find a picture....is there a bolt(self threading) that goes into an existing hole in the motor mount?

Pictures are going to be tough since they run above the motor mount it seems rather than below like the following years. You do have the two "rubber" straps that hold the pressure line to the drivers side shock tower.   Will see if I've got a shot with the engine out.

Corvettes have it easy compare to the Mustang (not even going to add in the Shelby's with them)  - two body styles, one plant, less engine and transmissions combinations, models  .........
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:35:45 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:01:21 AM »

Don't have a picture of the underside of that little bracket from the back side looking forward - basically from the steering box forward.

Where it is situated it appears that the bottom hole of that T shaped ps insulator bracket  is held in place by the top most frame to engine mount bracket as Richard/67gtasanjose wrote above.

Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 02:15:31 AM »
Thanks much for the pictures....I'll spend some time orienting myself to it while looking at my car and figure out how to mount it..I have an original insulator bracket to install.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
Well....I've been under my car this morning with the great pics posted...but really can't match the picture to what I'm looking at...I loosely put the bracket(original) the only place it looks like it could  attach and still hang the insulator rubber where it should be.  The bolt in the picture is just to hold it in place.  Is this where it attaches...and if so, I assume it won't be in the way of the lower A arm movement.  I can't believe I've spent 3 days now trying to figure out how to mount this...(and that's with the original bracket).  Guess I need more help....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
That is a location someone seeing 68 pictures might mount the bracket since those hoses traveled below the engine mount rather than (how 67 small blocks as shown above) were routed. 68 brackets, if I recall correctly, mount to the out side surface of the lower shock tower/a arm attachment point rather than inside like you have it

Take it off - place it over the upper motor mount frame bracket and the upper bolt through that hole you used in the picture to attach to the lower a arm mount  and let us know what you discover
Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Boy, was I looking in the wrong place.  I finally put together your pictures and descriptions and found its' proper place.  I can't tell you how many searches I did for '67 power steering hose routing/insulator bracket mounting, etc., I didn't find one showing its' correct location.  They all showed it below the mount.

Thanks much for your help...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:36:39 AM »
A couple of additional supporting pictures and drawings I found in my files

A little mangled :(

Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »
Thanks again....I mounted the original bracket where it should be and the hoses are now routed properly.  By the way....in what manual is that illustration of the bracket mounting...is it an assembly manual?

Offline socalgt

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 01:35:38 AM »
Regarding my earlier post about the '67 power steering hose indexing bracket.....I see it fits over the long bolt that the pump slides on in the picture that was previously posted... I assume the "hook" on the other end guides the pressure line hose to its' correct position?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »
Thanks again....I mounted the original bracket where it should be and the hoses are now routed properly.  By the way....in what manual is that illustration of the bracket mounting...is it an assembly manual?

MPC - Think one in paper form with both part number and illustration pages can make up a stack of paper over 2 feet high   ::)

Unfortunately many times is just a generic drawing that should not be used as a single source IMHO resource but in this case it matched what we saw in the unrested cars pictures that were posted.

Glad it helped

= I assume the "hook" on the other end guides the pressure line hose to its' correct position?

The hook speeds installation and securing of the hoses since it goes in the lower hole in the bracket meaning the worker on the line only has one bolt to install and tighten
Jeff Speegle

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 02:26:19 AM »
very interesting, Socalgt is it possible to share a picture of the installation?
I think it would be helping other people (including me  ;)), since a picture says more than words...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967