Author Topic: Engine Bay Part Finishing  (Read 7474 times)

Offline chalkys_explorer

Engine Bay Part Finishing
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »

Hi All,
         well, as ever, I'm conducting research for the resto for my 84. I'm most curious about the finish on parts in the engine bay. Parts like the windscreen wiper motor, throttle cable bracket and valve cover to intake tube seem to have a gold cad type finish. Other parts have a more silver finish and the larger majority seem to be a natural finish or semi-gloss black.

Wondering if anyone might have some good pics of NOS parts or very low use/ low mileage cars/parts for refernce purposes. What sort of finishes were actually used on these parts and can the be effectively replicated??
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline bluemax

Re: Engine Bay Part Finishing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Chris, I have been using my pics of Daniel Carpenter's ultra low mileage '85 1/2 and '86 cars as reference.

The "gold cad"  that you mentioned is actually yellow zinc dichromate. It is used on the wiper motor, throttle linkage bracket (at intake), cooling fan motor, radiator fan shroud, alternator pulley (pre '86), the tube you mentioned, injector header, as well as quite a few nuts and bolts through out the car.

Best way to do this is ask what parts get what type of finish.

Maybe a separate topic for each type of finish.

HTH,

Matt

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »

So I've been doing some research on an answer to my own question over the last couple of days. I've been fortunate over the last couple of years to do photo studies on some very low mileage cars and from studying those pics, I have come to the following conclusions. I'm going to list parts by finish and if there is a differentiation by years, I will put the year in brackets after the part. Like so (84). As always, these are just my observations so if someone has a better answer or some clarification please feel free to post here.

And, as always, would still love to see pics of some NOS parts.

Zinc Chromate: throttle cable bracket, Fuel pressure regulator, pulse dampener, throttle body bolts, fuel rail,
                       wiper motor cover, A/C hard lines, wastegate actuator, brake proportioning valve, EGR solenoid bracket, IAC solenoid and end cap, fan motor cover, fan shroud mounts, PCV manifold fitting, hod lamp bracket, intake manifold vac, line fitting, inline fuel pump(84) and filter bracket, air filter wing nut, breather cap to turbo inlet hardline, alternator cooling fan, pulley and nut

Galvanised: header panel to core support brackets, header to hood latch bracket, battery hold down clamp

Oiled or Natural(??): hood latch and actuator, hood latch receiver(on core support), A/C compressor brackets,
                              alignment plates(on onion heads)

Semi-Gloss Black: IC brackets, engine pulleys, radiator brackets, air filter housing, coolant recovery bottle     
                          bracket and strap, pulse dampener bracket, alternator adjustment bracket(84/5), VAM bracket, EGR solenoid cover(84), water pump pulley retainer plate, valve cover breather(86)

Body Colour: charcoal canister bracket, hood latch retainer( on core support)

As stated, these are just my observations from cars I've looked at or seen in publications. If I've called it wrong or someone has better info, which is my hope, please feel free to chime in.

Chris

Offline Ken Potter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
I have a boat load of reference pics from the Barrett-J 85.5 that I can email to you. Most of the stuff on the 7B was NOS so the finish is correct but my man Patrick used the Eastwood paint on some of the smaller items. It looks as good as the plating if done properly. Send me an email and I'll reply with the pics.

Ken

Offline bluemax

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:11 PM »
Good list Chris.

I have a few comments for discussion.

Based upon my experience, the radiator support brackets and air filter housing are more glossy than the typical semi gloss black like what is used on the pulleys and IC bracket. I have NOS pieces, need to take some pics for you.

On the '86 cars, the coolant overflow bottle mtg. bracket is natural. Not sure about the '84 and 85 cars although my very early '86, which has the '84-85 style, is also natural. Very interested to see examples of low mileage cars with painted brackets.

You didn't mention the two engine lift brackets which were painted Ford engine gray.

Or the lower IC mtg bracket. I believe these were natural, but again, I would need to see some very low mileage examples to verify.

Matt

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
Some of this information is in the MCA rulebook, but we could always use more detail where necessary.  Once you guys get your information compiled, it would be great if you could share it with Chuck Wiltens to determine if it can be included in the rules.

Glad to see the site being utilized by later generation car owners!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:06:46 PM »

Whilst doing research on this subject and also reading up on home electroplating, I found this webpage:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

Now, while the main page is related to 69-71 429SCJ cars, there is some very handy reference pics and nice eye candy:):):)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Read up on this

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/chris_long%27s_429_cougar.htm

I can arange a ride while at the Roundup in July !!  (You will sware off 4 cyl cars)

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline chalkys_explorer

Phosphate and Oil?????????
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
Ok, so I was reading the MCA Concours rule book for Fox Mustangs the other night and read that the hood latch is supposed to be phospahte and oil which to my eye is to dark a finish for Those componens as they appear to be more of a light grey colour. The same type of finish is also used on the a/c brackets and strut top adjuster plates.

I have seen some restred Shelby's that had a lightish grey colour to there hood latches. Maybe this lighter version of phosphate and oil is what was used. I have pictures on my Mac which I need to post.

Offline Ken Potter

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
Since all of those parts are a mild steel they naturally have a light grey color. If they're chemically stripped they'll return to the natural state. If sand blasted they'll have an abraided and slightly lighter finish. I had a bunch of parts for the 7B stripped / hot tanked and then clear coated to preserve the natural look and texture of the surface.

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »

Ken, one would think if those parts were bare steel we'd see much more corrosion evident after all these years. I have seen some of those corrode real bad, but usually only on cars that have sat outside for a LONG time. Anyway, here are some pics of some low mile cars with components that I believe are phospahte and oil coated.

Maybe some of the 1st Gen guys can chime in as they may have greater knowledge of what this finish looks like.

Offline Ken Potter

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
Yes I guess I was a little vague there. The original finish is a phosphate type coating. I was talking more of how to return them to an original look without going through the phosphate process.

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 02:18:44 AM »

One of the joys of having a mate who restores vintage Mustangs, as well as owning two SVO's, he has his own phosphating set-up:):):)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
May be Manganese and not Zinc phoshate. It gives a darker finish than phospate.

Offline rodster

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »

Based upon my experience, the radiator support brackets and air filter housing are more glossy than the typical semi gloss black like what is used on the pulleys and IC bracket. I have NOS pieces, need to take some pics for you.

I'm pretty sure the radiator support brackets on my 84 were oil or galvanized, not painted black.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A