Author Topic: Chrome parts  (Read 1767 times)

Offline sparky65

Chrome parts
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »
I am trying to make a list of parts I need to get re-chromed.  Part of my problem is some of the parts that were on my car I don't know if they are original or old reproductions.  Door handles, taillight trim, backup lamps, interior cranks and bumpers are the ones that I am suspecting may have been replaced years ago.  They are now pitted and rusty but they seemed to fit well (except for the front bumper).  Is it worth re-plating these or just buy new reproductions?  How is the reproduction chrome holding up these days?  Is there a way to know for sure that its original?  Some parts have a Ford part number but I don''t know if reproductions were made with these.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Chrome parts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:01:12 AM »
You need to see how bad the pitting is. If it's too pitted then probably not worth sending off to rechrome. If good enough, I recommend rechroming the door handles, backup light assemblies, original bumpers. I would go NOS or Scott Drake for the tail light trim. NOS Interior cranks are plentiful and often seen on ebay.

If you see the Ford part #... it's at least a ford service part at worst and still a good rechroming candidate.

Reproduction chrome won't last long and fits cheaply. Expect to pay around $1500 to rechrome the pieces mentioned.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Chrome parts
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »
It is always a matter of what exactly you are looking for out of your restoration and a bit about the amount of money you choose to spend.  Re-chroming can be very, very expensive.  You also have to make sure it is done properly.

Some of the reproduction stuff is quite nice and has much better chrome than the Ford parts.  Of the parts you mention, the Scott Drake outside door handles, inside door/window handles and tail light doors are all extremely nice pieces.  As mentioned, the chrome is probably better than original and the fit is as good. 

I wish that there was a better bumper available, but there is only the approx. $100.00 one.  Now it is a heck of a nice piece for $100.00, but it is just that...a cheaper part.  Heck, a nice re-chrome job on a bumper is probably around $475.00 or more...or at least that is what I paid.  Just check your fit on the original (and especially Ford service) bumper before spending the money on re-plating. 

One day, we will see a higher quality reproduction bumper on the market to give folks a choice.  I personally cannot wait for this.