Author Topic: Wiper motor 72 Mach 1 351C Q CODE  (Read 5415 times)

Offline nham3407

Re: Wiper motor 72 Mach 1 351C Q CODE
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
The gearbox cover is a Zinc Dichromate finish.  As it is very obvious on mine that I went with Eastwoods dichromate paint kit to replicate the original finish as I did not have access to a plater.  I now have a contact with plating access so I will get this done very soon.  The wiring is not available from most parts suppliers.  You will either need to find a used motor to replace that or find another route to minimize the appearence of the wire splice.  I do agree with the others that another replacement with the correct wiring and correct gearbox cover may be worth considering, but that is your call.  Best wishes getting it back to what you would like.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Baz70

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »
Related to my original post as I'm working my way around the wiper parts, has anyone painted the wiper linkage parts (pic attached) and what paint colour is recommended for concours look? Mine has a lot of dirt but underneath doesn't look like it was painted and hasn't rusted so either its aluminium or its been painted. Advice welcome.

Offline Baz70

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
The gearbox cover is a Zinc Dichromate finish.  As it is very obvious on mine that I went with Eastwoods dichromate paint kit to replicate the original finish as I did not have access to a plater.  I now have a contact with plating access so I will get this done very soon.  The wiring is not available from most parts suppliers.  You will either need to find a used motor to replace that or find another route to minimize the appearence of the wire splice.  I do agree with the others that another replacement with the correct wiring and correct gearbox cover may be worth considering, but that is your call.  Best wishes getting it back to what you would like.

Thanks!

Offline nham3407

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
The wiper linkage is not painted. It is bare aluminum from the factory.  I used a very fine blast media to clean mine up.  Make sure to either remove the pivot shafts where the wiper arms attach or thoroughly protect them from any media grit.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Baz70

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Thanks, I am going to thoroughly clean and then point in aluminium paint, I think it will better protect it from the elements plus will never get the clean factory look with blasting it.