Author Topic: Oct 64 San Jose Fastback trunk lid fitment  (Read 1672 times)

Offline DKutz

Oct 64 San Jose Fastback trunk lid fitment
« on: October 14, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
I am not happy with the way my trunk lid lines up.  Not sure if its just my car (it has been hit in the past) or its the way they were rolled off the line.  Does anyone have a picture of a correct trunk lid fit for 64 oct San jose fastback??
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:23:36 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Oct 64 San Jose Fastback trunk lid fitment
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
Correct lid fit.   From the original cars I've seen from the plant - its been pretty straight forward. Back edge and surface lines up well with the end caps - space around the opening and to the lid is even and balanced without being too large

This example was tapped and repaired in the passenger rear end

Period pictures

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DKutz

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:12:58 PM »
Yeah mine does not fit like that...  As I mentioned I know it's been hit, so perhaps that affected the fit, or they replace the deck lid, I never checked for date code...
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
Yeah mine does not fit like that...  As I mentioned I know it's been hit, so perhaps that affected the fit, or they replace the deck lid, I never checked for date code...

Trunk lid sheet metal, because it is arc'd, has a tendency to buckle (even if it's been in a very minor collision).  I had a similar problem on my '65 Coupe which is discussed in the following thread:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6715.msg38057#msg38057

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
Ok finally took pictures yesterday.  Trunk will not move to make rear flush.  Is the lid just warped?  Or tweaked?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »
Ok finally took pictures yesterday.  Trunk will not move to make rear flush.  Is the lid just warped?  Or tweaked?

Looks like it might have been twisted

From the pictures it looks fairly level and close at the drivers side front corner but down/low in the passenger side front corner while it does not match the profile well at either of the rear corners to the end caps though you have it close (well at least from the pictures on the passenger side) to the top rear corner of the quarter panels.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DKutz

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »
Looks like it might have been twisted

From the pictures it looks fairly level and close at the drivers side front corner but down/low in the passenger side front corner while it does not match the profile well at either of the rear corners to the end caps though you have it close (well at least from the pictures on the passenger side) to the top rear corner of the quarter panels.

I know there is some adjustment for the front corners, I am more worried about the back corners to the caps alignment

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
The RH back corner needs to come up.

Is there a weather-strip glued on?  Do you have the thin one or thick?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »
again I am more worried or curious about the read edge where it meets the caps.  Is this supposed to be flush acroos the trunk to the caps?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
It should fit reasonably well and lines match up. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin