Author Topic: Parts finish questions.  (Read 1789 times)

1967 eight barrel

Parts finish questions.
« on: November 10, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
On my 1967 shelby, there are two parts that hold the emergency brake cables. One is what I would call an idler. It is a five inch long piece with hook on each end. One holds the cable, the other goes into the bracket on the floorboard. The second is a threaded bolt with a stamped metal piece that hooks in to the floorboard on one side and the brake cable passes through the other. Should these be zinc or phosphate.
Secondly, the L bracket that the hood latch secures to on the inboard headlamp bracket. Painted black, phosphate or silver zinc?
Your assistance is appreciated.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Parts finish questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:36:46 PM »
On my 1967 shelby, there are two parts that hold the emergency brake cables. One is what I would call an idler. It is a five inch long piece with hook on each end. One holds the cable, the other goes into the bracket on the floorboard. The second is a threaded bolt with a stamped metal piece that hooks in to the floorboard on one side and the brake cable passes through the other. Should these be zinc or phosphate.
Secondly, the L bracket that the hood latch secures to on the inboard headlamp bracket. Painted black, phosphate or silver zinc?
Your assistance is appreciated.
The ones I have found were zinc phosphate . It is popular to plate them zinc silver but I believe this to be incorrect from my observations. The "L" bracket you are referring to is that the hood catch for the hood latch? If it is then zinc phosphate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
The ones I have found were zinc phosphate . It is popular to plate them zinc silver but I believe this to be incorrect from my observations. The "L" bracket you are referring to is that the hood catch for the hood latch? If it is then zinc phosphate.
That is right Bob the silver zinc E brake arms ones service replacements.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. I know the ones I bought from Ford were bright silver, but noticed several OE applications looked gray.