Author Topic: master cylinder and cover  (Read 6352 times)

Offline mach1one

master cylinder and cover
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:55 AM »
My understanding is that the master cylinder and cap should 
be all black or the the master cylinder can be natural with a silver cap to recieve no point deductions. Is this correct?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: master cylinder and cover
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:46 AM »
My understanding is that the master cylinder and cap should 
be all black or the the master cylinder can be natural with a silver cap to recieve no point deductions. Is this correct?

Yes that is the CURRENT state of affairs but would not expect (hope) that to be that way next year.  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
Thanks jeff. When the master and cap were painted black at the factory or vendor was it painted as a unit attached to the pump. are the nuts that attach the master to the pump also black Thanks Lu

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
master, cap, clip, booster, nuts and check valve all together when painted

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:21:28 AM »
Tim's got it covered - agree all painted as a unit by the supplier  then installed in the car at the factory as a unit
Jeff Speegle

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
What year car are we talking about here?

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
Believe 67-70.  User ID of original post has "mach1"...

Black MC and cap is correct for early years too.  Except for '66 which has a zinc dichromate lid when the decal was applied to a disc brake MC, body would have been black though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
.......... Except for '66 which has a zinc dichromate lid when the decal was applied to a disc brake MC, body would have been black though.

Charles seen plenty of original SJ 66's (including Shelbys) with the decal applied to a completely black master cylinder (with cap)
Jeff Speegle

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
I've seen them both ways, just wanted to point out the exception.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
Just to comment for further discussion on the 65/66 Master I find it very strange that all of the vintage photo evidence (Shelby) on the black  master cylinder seems to look like it may have had the sticker painted over . It shows up as a vague outline in some of the black in white photos. It is ether on underneath the paint or not put on at all. It is puzzling that the sticker and it's info would be covered by paint. Any observations by others in a original context? Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »
Haven't seen an original with the decal.I have only seen originals that were all black.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
Just to comment for further discussion on the 65/66 Master I find it very strange that all of the vintage photo evidence (Shelby) on the black  master cylinder seems to look like it may have had the sticker painted over . It shows up as a vague outline in some of the black in white photos. It is ether on underneath the paint or not put on at all. It is puzzling that the sticker and it's info would be covered by paint. Any observations by others in a original context? Bob

It can be difficult IMHO to find many original examples in the period media since this detail (the decal) was only used on the later cars - well after the cars used for the magazines were built. From my collection of stuff there may have been two or maybe three groups of late 66 Shelbys that were constructed after the use of the decal was suppose to have been.

As for the painted over ones - I can see where that car may have been touched up for pictures (examples of prepping the cars for magazines and press cars was not unheard of)

Add to this that it is so difficult to figure out when the car (in the case of a Shelby) was at San Jose in relationship with its Shelby number.  And example would be 6S2268 a great example of an original car. Black cap but no decal currently. Since we don't know the Ford VIN it may have been built at San Jose prior to mid May.

Just some possibilities ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
Looking to restore what I think is a factory power booster and cylinder on our 65 NJ Convertible shed Sept 20, 64.

Firstly, How can I tell if they are original?

Secondly, cylinder is natural and cap is like a yellow zinc colour and had a warning about cleaning before filling stamped into the top. Is this correct?

Thanks.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
Looking to restore what I think is a factory power booster and cylinder on our 65 NJ Convertible shed Sept 20, 64.

Firstly, How can I tell if they are original?

Secondly, cylinder is natural and cap is like a yellow zinc colour and had a warning about cleaning before filling stamped into the top. Is this correct?

Thanks.
One sign that it is original would be if there was a brass fitting adapter for the flare brake fitting on the brake line to mate with the pipe thread in the master cylinder body. If your fitting goes directly into the body it has been replaced as that is a later 66 style. FYI NPD sells a brass "dummy" adapter that gives the appearance of a working adapter when in fact it is a flared fitting on both ends so as to make a later style look like the early style . This a great part as the old cores are getting hard to find.  Also the body and the cap were typically painted black from the factory as may vintage photos and junk yard observations seem to indicate. The service units came bare cast iron which since they were new (NOS) Ford many got the impression that is the finish that they were suppose to be . The Zinc Dichromate cap is the same scenario.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
master, cap, clip, booster, nuts and check valve all together when painted

Except Boss 429 ;) Lu I assume your assembling Maroon 429?