Author Topic: 69 NJ Front Marker Light Wiring Clip in Wheelwell  (Read 3496 times)

Offline mic-chris

69 NJ Front Marker Light Wiring Clip in Wheelwell
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
hey guys... My car is a Meutchen build.   do we have new updates on where the side marker light clip goes on these cars?  thx
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:07:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Black on Black 1969 Mach1 428CJ auto. built 11/68.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 NJ Front Marker Light Wiring Clip in Wheelwell
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:20:38 PM »
Looks like it's the same at the Dearborn pictures posted along with the nylon zip tie to the tubular front bumper arm. Area where you have it int he picture would normally not be the location and instead be covered with sound deadener as well as the inner fender panels  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mic-chris

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
thanks Jeff!  Ill move it to the valance panel and zip tie it :)  I put the sound deadener in the Qp wheel wells but didnt know about the front.  I have it on the underside top area of the fender.  where can I find pics of the inner fender panels? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »
................  I have it on the underside top area of the fender.  where can I find pics of the inner fender panels?

NJ cars (in decent - not even nice) in unrestored condition can be difficult to document

Looking at prior threads I see we've discussed the Mach I floor application and think rear wheel wells but not the front wheel wells yet.

Start a new thread and include when and where your car was built. May not be able to find an example from your week or month but we'll give it a try
Jeff Speegle

Offline mic-chris

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:22:34 PM »
I found the post that included the pictures of cobrajet428's blue Mach 1.  very nicly done :)  when I redone my car 25 years ago...I scrapped all that undercoating off that I thought was maybe put on by somebody else.   But If the Metuchen cars are like this and from what I remember mine was....I can put it back on.

Offline mic-chris

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:24:40 PM »
i did leave the undercoating on the back of my fender which looks a lot like the pics I found on here :)
which butts up to the plastic linners.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
I bought and installed these clips some time back.  My car did not have them and not sure that it ever did ?  I have not seen any photos of the OE installation or photos of a zip tie so would be interested in any further info.  Thanks,   Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:33:41 AM »
.................My car did not have them and not sure that it ever did ?  I have not seen any photos of the OE installation or photos of a zip tie so would be interested in any further info.  Thanks,   Brian

Think I can fix that (not having seen any photos ;)

Here is a shot with both the nylon zip tie and the marker light clip. In this case forward stud facing downward. This was taken from a really nice unrestored (original paint) car starting with 9T02M186xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »
I have a photo of an unrestored Metuchen car that also has the forward facing clip like in Jeff's picture.  No zip tie though (could have just been removed).  I think the cable is really too short to use both which is probably why they put the clip on the front of the light instead of to the rear like I think Dearborn did.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
.......... I think the cable is really too short to use both which is probably why they put the clip on the front of the light instead of to the rear like I think Dearborn did.

Maybe its a routing thing. IMHO I don't think we are seeing and example of two different length wire looms. I've never measured a wire loom from each plant in that area but believe the source was likely the same for both those plants.  Just thinking that a worker or workers that did this job all the time at NJ could be taking another route than the workers at Dearborn and in doing so might have produced less reach because of it.

Since we have examples of both the clip and zip ties at both plants they seem to have made it work
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
So... looking at the last picture posted by Jeff, Metuchen right side, it looks like the clip is attached at the marker light forward post.  Both attached through the valance ?  Correct ?  Thanks,  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »
Jeff - I'm not suggesting there are two different wire looms.  I am pointing out that when you use both the clip and the tye, the wire loom is almost taut, and functionally you could use one OR the other and the wire loom would be well supported and out of the way.  BTW, San Jose used only the tye and works out just fine.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
So... looking at the last picture posted by Jeff, Metuchen right side, it looks like the clip is attached at the marker light forward post.  Both attached through the valance ?  Correct ?  Thanks,  Brian

Correct - in that picture the clip is attached to the forward post of the marker light. The stud formed in the bezel passes though the valance then the plastic clip is placed over the post and the nut holds the marker light and clip securely to the car.

Jeff - I'm not suggesting there are two different wire looms.  I am pointing out that when you use both the clip and the tye, the wire loom is almost taut, and functionally you could use one OR the other and the wire loom would be well supported and out of the way.  BTW, San Jose used only the tye and works out just fine.

Believe the Dearborn example illustrates (posted again below) that the factory made it work with both with some slack to spare. Did this last week with my Boss and I was able to form a natural looking curve in the wire making all the attachment points. Had to make sure that I went around and below the headlight to main loom junction  as well as over the tubular bumper bracket - picking up a little length. Do agree there is not there is not allot of extra wire to spare.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
Gracias Amigo
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline mic-chris

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
I bought and installed these clips some time back.  My car did not have them and not sure that it ever did ?  I have not seen any photos of the OE installation or photos of a zip tie so would be interested in any further info.  Thanks,   Brian

good to see someone else put this clip in the same location as I did :)