Author Topic: Paint stripes on drive shaft  (Read 2491 times)

Offline rocnhrse

Paint stripes on drive shaft
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
67 gta s code April San Jose 3:00 non posi
I am trying  my best to restore  this car a original  as I can so do I paint the stripes as I found  them or tape them off and have perfect  stripe,hard to make something  look messy as per factory original
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:01:03 PM by rocnhrse »
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline 68NordicCat

Re: Paint stripes on drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:57 AM »
I would try your best to just reproduce what you found. Definitely don't tape them off if you want an original look.
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:51:19 AM »
I don't know exactly who, when or where the stripes were painted on the drive shaft, but I will guarantee the painter was bored, sloppy and a union worker. In other words, think "assembly line monotony" when you identify your drive shaft, and don't "over restore" anything. That will get you points off by a judge.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:39:08 AM »
67 gta s code April San Jose 3:00 non posi
I am trying  my best to restore  this car a original  as I can so do I paint the stripes as I found  them or tape them off and have perfect  stripe,hard to make something  look messy as per factory original

Don't tape them off if you want them to look original/factory. Plenty of examples of original applications in other threads along with some hints on how others rotated the drivelines while apply them. The drivelines arrived at the car assembly plants already measured, cut, striped and ready to be installed.

Just be very happy you have some colors left to go by/copy :) So get yourself a few 1" chip brushes - mix up some matching paint and just slap them on, once the driveline is all nice and pretty/restored

maybe you can get a kid/child to hold the brush as you spin the driveline and watch
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:42:47 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »
You put a smile on my face Jeff.  :D
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
I soaked mine in evapo rust for a couple days and used a light scrubbing pad to finish it off. To paint I bought four small cabinet wheels from the hardware store and mounted on a pierce of plywood so drive line would rest on the wheels. Spinning the shaft with my right hand and painting with the left hand the stripes were applied. I was happy with how it turned out.

70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 06:28:35 PM »
Thanks for the insight  and advice, also the tips on how to do things,this is a helpful  and respectful  Web site there never is a feeling  your questions  are dumb ones
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »
...but I will guarantee the painter was bored, sloppy and a union worker.

That's a bit of a disparaging description. Bored, probably. Sloppy - Ford wasn't paying them to spend time "coloring inside the lines". The paint marks were not a cosmetic item, they were only for identification during assembly, so extra time spent making them pretty would have cost the company money. Union worker - damn proud to be one, I would imagine. Look at how much time we spend obsessing over cars they built a half-century ago!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:22:27 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.