Author Topic: TSB 08-3-04 RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION ~Transmission Crossmembe Built B4 12/3/2007  (Read 3357 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I thought I would share a PDF copy of a service bulletin (look at PDF link above the images below) that was performed on my 2005 GT Convertible at 12K miles, just before the warranty expired.
I experienced this "vibration" just about time the automatic transmission would shift and did not then know what it was. At the time, my concerns were SHOULD it be an internal problem developing, that I would at least have an "Incident Report".

The local dealership called me up after leaving the car and said "It is FIXED" and they explained about this Service Bulletin. Once I raised the car after getting home, I see they did NOT CHOOSE to cut across the mount but instead just ripped the mount off with crow bars and the likes. I was quite upset at the time because they did not take care or call to explain what was to be done. I understand that in order for the technician to get paid, this was what needed to be done.

I wished afterwards, they had not done this so yesterday, I bought the "UNDO" button, a replacement crossmember WITH the mounts intact! Maybe I'll install it, maybe not but what I find MOST INTERESTING about this whole ordeal is THIS replacement crossmember, though removed from an EARLIER-Built 2005 GT convertible, looks to be dated mid-year 2007. Perhaps a Service Replacement installed BEFORE the TSB came out? (perhaps).

Engineering number 8R33-6068-BA (per white ink dot) indicates a 2008 model-year part if I am correct. This would also seem to say that the "whole part" is a later production or a Service Part IMHO. It was purchased intentionally to put out the "fire" in me over how the Ford dealeship "Ripped off" parts of my "Preservation Piece" showcar. I am still at odds I guess :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:14:12 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

The weather finally broke in Ohio so I decided to go ahead and install a replacement crossmember with the exhaust mounts on it. I imagine most of the rattling and Buzz vibrations associated with this crossmember issue relates to how well the exhaust rods are aligned within the mount. I tried adjusting to allow for some engine torque, hoping this is all it will take to remove the buzz or rattling complaint.

Below, I posted a picture of the engineering numbers from the original cross number, also a shot of the date code which precedes my car's build date by approximately 2 months. You may notice also that I used the whole later production crossmember with the mounts installed. I will set the old crossmember aside with other parts I have collected from this car for preservation.

I suppose this really is only trying to ease my mind, knowing I'm going to have to take it back for the airbag recall also. Why is it I just don't trust these guys to understand my idea of preserving the car?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:38:33 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Thanks for sharing.

My 08 GT (manual trans) has a buzz during shifting, more prevalent when cold (sounds like a loose heat shield) that I've got down to a TSB that has a minor modification needed to the flex plate or bellhousing if I recall.  At 120K miles though, I'm quite a bit on the other side of warranty.  It is on my list of things to do, but dagnabbit I'm putting the GTA in front of it.

I had the driver's side air bag done a year or two ago, and got the passenger side notice a month or so ago.  Will take it in for that because of warranty coverage.

Other than that I've done brakes (new take offs from Roush which is a couple miles from me), tires, battery (Motorcraft), plugs at 100K (6 of 8 broke off, what a pain that was), and the variable cam timing solenoid valves (one developed a hole in the screen that got wedged in the valve).

I have new take off serpentine belt, exhaust, rear shocks, and another set of brakes if I recall.  Never found front struts though.

I'm looking forward to pulling it out from winter hibernation.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

My 08 GT (manual trans) has a buzz during shifting, more prevalent when cold (sounds like a loose heat shield) that I've got down to a TSB that has a minor modification needed to the flex plate or bellhousing if I recall. At 120K miles though,..
...I'm looking forward to pulling it out from winter hibernation.

Occasionally Driven at 31K miles now ;)  I just drove mine after putting the X-member with the 2008-Up engineering number, got everything lined up correctly and NO BUZZ like before.

Check these mounts, if you have them in there too! To my understanding, this TSB INCLUDES cars built up to 12/3/2007, it doesn't LEAVE OUT manual trans cars or even V6 cars so...Maybe

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:51:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Deuce

Other than that I've done brakes (new take offs from Roush which is a couple miles from me), tires, battery (Motorcraft), plugs at 100K (6 of 8 broke off, what a pain that was),

Re: Spark Plugs.  Any one know if the replacement Motorcraft plugs still have the breakage problem?  I’m hoping the design is improved so we don’t have to worry about breaking the second set when they come out.  My ‘08 is at 145K miles and thinking about changing soon; first set was changed out at 90K, which is the interval Ford recommends.

(Might want to start another thread about 2005-2014 4.6L V8 spark plugs).
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72