Author Topic: Goodyear Tire Date Coding  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Goodyear Tire Date Coding
« on: June 30, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »
Put together a new article on tire date coding for original Goodyear tires.  I wanted to get the usual suspects here to take a read and comment but also would like to see a few people look at their original tires to make sure this works for everyone.  Let me know if there is any questions or issues. 
I did leave some information out - in particular how to decode which plant the tires were made at since in the end this isnt really information anyone really needs or wants.  Otherwise it becomes too long.

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/1/7/6/3176630/goodyear_polyglas_tires_v1.3.pdf

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:47:39 AM by azscj »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Smokey 15

Re: Goodyear Tire Date Coding
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
 Very informative. Thank You for posting, Marcus. I think I am going to print the article and keep a copy in our shop. I know I'll never remember all that info! 

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
Thank you for the article....

Off topic: ....Made In U.S.A. who would have thought this would become such a meaningful and rare statement.  In the 60-70-80-90s...I took it for granted.  Now it is such a rarity and something I really enjoy seeing!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
Thanks Marcus - I guess !    SCJ has a LR in the trunk - Dec 1968.   Is that ok for a APril built car??????????    ( I don't even want to look at my other ones)  LOL

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »

I cant say December 1968 is a bad thing....besides you don't have too many options to replace it.  The fact that you have a correct original tire(s) is better than most. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »
Mark - the spare in my 3/69 SJ car is dated 2/69 so it looks like the dates ran pretty tight to actual build dates.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
Yeah  The "spare" is in the car as it was never removed from a rim, still has daubs on the rim and is the BEST of the 5 originals I have.   I will look at the other (maybe today).    It was hard enough getting 4 rims to match up on the dates!   Fearful I will want different original tires now !   LOL

Everyone that saw the car said "are you crazy you can't risk one of those blowing out" -it will take out a fender!    What they didn't know was that the car would be driven 1/4 mile in 6 years.  (once)

Mark
P.S.  I didn't know which hub cap to put on the car either !!   The NOS service "sticker" style or the original line STAMPED caps.  REALLY don't want to start swapping tires/wheels and caps to get right.  Then there are the original wheel weights.............

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
^^^
...and valve stems!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
^^^
...and valve stems!

That was easy - think

Mark

Offline Dudley

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
Marcus,
I'm starting to pull out all my tires to check the dates. I have questions on the first two tires I pulled out to decipher......

1. I have a Goodyear Power Cushion 6.95 - 14 with a date code of 0N0S0B3, can a system 2 have 6 or 7 digits as a date ? I believe this code to contain zeros and not the letter O. This tire is mounted on a green painted steel rim that I was told came from an AMC car. I believe that as correct since the back side of the tire has an ink stamp stating AMC Kensha Wisc.

2. Off topic slightly  -  do you have any info on date codes for Firestone deluxe champions, specifically Z000318C ?  Thank you
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:04:49 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18:16 PM »
Dudley....yes, you can have a six or 7 digit code...the length of digits is not as important.  But to decode that tire it would be the first two digits 0N (with the first digit being a zero and not the letter O).  That would translate to November 1965. 

As for the Firestone I did not do anything for the moment as they use a completely different date code system before 1971.  Thats a whole different project.   
Marcus Anghel