Author Topic: Thanks for help - my Magic Skyway convertible  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Thanks for help - my Magic Skyway convertible
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »
My 8 year project of restoring my Magic Skyway convertible has lead me to a GOLD trophy in the "Concours Trailered" category last weeks MCA "Mustangs on the Niagara" show.  I am really thankful to everyone on this forum who has offered advice, support and parts over the past several years.  This is the BEST forum anywhere online and everyone here that strives to create a Concours quality Mustang should be proud of their efforts.  Anybody can customize a car to their liking, but to keep it factory original detailing every nut, bracket and clamp borders on insanity--I love it! ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:19:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Thanks for help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
it was truly a pleasure to be on the judging team for your car. this unique piece of mustang history is in good hands and will be enjoyed for years to come.
5F09C331248

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
thank you Fred--I enjoyed every minute of the show.  :) :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Online 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Agree, the car was spectacular! I probably should have sought to talk to you while I was there...SO MANY fabulous cars to soak in and I managed to only look at yours for about 5 minutes.

Pictures truly cannot do justice to all of the obvious hard work put into such projects. Between your car's history and the '63 Prototype also on display at this event, I cannot say which one impressed me more but I am leaning hard towards yours because in my opinion, your Magic Skyway example strikes a cord of history that probably every Mustang enthusiast can relate to...What Ford ACTUALLY produced!

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to authenticity. It REALLY shows.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
Congratulations as well,and I`m more than a little late to the party,since you have been working on it for a long time but I have to ask --why does it have 66 hub caps ?
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
35+ yr partsman,over 20 with Ford.

Online 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
Congratulations as well,and I`m more than a little late to the party,since you have been working on it for a long time but I have to ask --why does it have 66 hub caps ?

I know, I know!...but I'll let Gary answer that one ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »
It has the '66 caps because after the car left the Word's Fair in October of '65 it was sent back to Carron and Co., in Inkster, Mi to be converted back to a normal car.  At that time it was updated a bit to include the '66 caps, a '66 AM 8 track, interior courtesy lights in the lower doors and a bench seat.  The original owner, who we bought the car from back in '78, knew someone at Carron that put those upgrades on for him.  I had a few people at Niagara tell that the hubcaps are wrong.  A good conversation starter.   ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »
Congrats!!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »
thank you Charles.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »
Agree, the car was spectacular! I probably should have sought to talk to you while I was there...SO MANY fabulous cars to soak in and I managed to only look at yours for about 5 minutes.

Pictures truly cannot do justice to all of the obvious hard work put into such projects. Between your car's history and the '63 Prototype also on display at this event, I cannot say which one impressed me more but I am leaning hard towards yours because in my opinion, your Magic Skyway example strikes a cord of history that probably every Mustang enthusiast can relate to...What Ford ACTUALLY produced!

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to authenticity. It REALLY shows.

thank you for the kind words.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind/positive statements about the site

Congratulations -  your efforts really show through in your efforts and your mindset.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind/positive statements about the site

Congratulations -  your efforts really show through in your efforts and your mindset.

Thank you Jeff for all of the photos you have posted and especially the "sludge" how-to article you shared a few years back!
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI

Offline rodster

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Congratulations!  Beautiful car.   You done good!!!   ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »
Well that is a good explanation and will really stump some until they talk to you about the car !
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
35+ yr partsman,over 20 with Ford.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Congratulations!  Beautiful car.   You done good!!!   ;D

thank you--
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #181
Traverse City, MI