Author Topic: 69-70 Shelby trunk lock detail  (Read 3541 times)

Offline astat1

69-70 Shelby trunk lock detail
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
At SAAC 34 one of the many details noted was the rubber gasket that covers the outer stainless on the trunk lock. Bob Gaines explained how to reproduce this gasket/bushing. Though I was trying to put it to memory I'm afraid I was a little overloaded with all that I trying to commit to the little remaining gray matter space. Since I have noticed many cars are missing this detail I was hoping one that has reproduced this could give a mini-clinic and how this is best done

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69-70 Shelby trunk lock detail
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »
The abbreviated version is to take a trunk lock and dip it into some of the tool handle rubber dip. You will have to play with it a little to get the technique down on how to get consistent coverage. you might have to dip and let dry and then dip again to get the thickness desired. After you have a dried cocoon you use a Exacto knife to cut out the round center and then carefully peel off and transfer . Take it off and then put it back on so as to stretch it out a little. You don't want the sealed down look. Others have taken rubber inner tube material and done the same thing. I hope this helps. Bob       
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline astat1

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:57:25 AM »
A couple questions regarding the rear of the car. In the photos it appears the license plate lamp have caulking around them (red original car). Also is there supposed to be caulking around the entire rear light panel? Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
A couple questions regarding the rear of the car. In the photos it appears the license plate lamp have caulking around them (red original car). Also is there supposed to be caulking around the entire rear light panel? Thanks

Yes we used the 3M strip chalking for that task
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)