Author Topic: Pics/recommendations engine bay black?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Tiggie

Pics/recommendations engine bay black?
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »
I'm ready to spray under the hood of my Dearborn 68. Sometime in the last 48 years someone spray bombed my engine compartment several times so I really don't know what the sheen is supposed to be.

Pics of your sheens would be great. Product recommendations (and epoxy/sealer/primers) also welcome.

This car will be an occasional driver, but I want it to look right and hold up.
1968 8F01C191017, Built May 8, 1968
1994 GT, April 1994 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pics/recommendations engine bay black?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »
Did you start with a search of prior topics?

You should find 6- a dozen prior discussions so you might want to build off of those

One example (search used - "what black paint for engine compartment"

An example that turned up in that search. Change a couple fo the words find this an more but this one is likely the most direct in its answer

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7852.msg44961#msg44961

As for sheens I don't think they are going to show up well in pictures on the web ;)

These were typically just shot over what ever got sprayed before. On a 68 Dearborn that often included some or allot more of body color at least along the top edges of the inner fender panels and over spray from that application on most of the other panels.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Building 3

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
Before you go over it with another coat of paint, why don't you try to strip off the spray bomb paint and see what you have? You might find that the original factory paint is still in decent shape especially if you want a nice daily driver. It might look quite appropriate for a 50 year old car.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
I'm getting ready to do the same.  My paint is pretty bad shape after steam cleaning. How far down does the black paint go on the firewall?  I assume it oversprays the the primer floors.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »
I'm getting ready to do the same.  My paint is pretty bad shape after steam cleaning. How far down does the black paint go on the firewall? I assume it oversprays the the primer floors.
As far as the painter could reasonably reach . Taller painters more shorter ones a little less. The point being that is there is a lot of latitude relatively speaking in application. If you try and do it the way the factory did it by leaning over and spraying what you can reach then you should be fine. The guns back in the day shot a lot of material with a lot of overspray .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:34:10 PM »
.......... How far down does the black paint go on the firewall?  I assume it oversprays the the primer floors.

Depends as Bob mentioned the effort, height, age and other factors that day that car but there is a general range that typically the fall into. Normally they didn't get far enough down to get overspray, from this application on the floor panel but faded out somewhere in the 30 degree panel on the firewall  from what I've seen
Jeff Speegle

Offline Tiggie

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
Jeff - I did search and found that post as well as others.  Gave me tons of info on spray patterns and body color overspray. That is why I like this site.  There is tons of info here and I am trying to digest it all. I am looking for some pictures really. I am considering using SPI black epoxy only (as a topcoat) but want to compare to see if it has the right sheen.

Building 3 - I've had to put two shock towers and one rear fender apron, so the original paint is missing in some areas. The rest is a spray bomb I think. It's rubbery when I strip it... I am wondering if they used latex!  Whatever it is, it's all got to go. That combined with two repaint over sprays under the spray bomb/gooey stuff. I wish this car was nice enough to use the original, but it was too much of a basket case.

KevinK - I think the others have answered your questions but I'll share what I can about my car. The firewall appears to have been well covered with black. The transition between the vertical firewall and horizontal parts of the floor was not covered as much, but appear to have had a minimal black coating. The trans tunnel was very much still red oxide. It got a dusting of black. I don't think the gun ever left the vertical position.
1968 8F01C191017, Built May 8, 1968
1994 GT, April 1994 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
Tiggie First thanks for adding to your signature

Might I suggest that you add the plant and approx or rear build date. If its not there = we're going to ask over and over again ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline KevinK

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the info. I think now I have enough details to repaint the floor a engine compartment. The light coverage on the lower firewall probably explains mine looks more surface rust than a paint color. Now to find a local guy to to the prep and painting.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
I am considering using SPI black epoxy only (as a topcoat) but want to compare to see if it has the right sheen.

I'm using the SPI epoxy for SG black. It's absolutely bullet proof and impervious to brake fluid, etc. There has been concern in the past with epoxy's and sun exposure but SPI adds a UV inhibiter so shouldn't be a problem.

Straight out of the can will be too glossy...I've been reducing it about 30% and it looks great.

And just to be a little more clear, I put down an initial coat of just the epoxy and then a reduced coat a day or two later.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:46:43 PM by OldMustangGuy »