Author Topic: 70 MACH1 Engine Bay & Engine Questions  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Blown351stang

70 MACH1 Engine Bay & Engine Questions
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »
Hi all
My first post and first Mach1 8). I have been thinking of doing a engine bay restoration not concours but a lot closer to the original look. It has been done before at some time in it's life I do not know the cars history.
The car is a 11/69 Dearborn 351 cleveland built car. I have tryed to find photos of some original cars but have not found many and they all seem to look different. So the bay should be semi gloss black with slop gray hood hinge,shock mount? I will put so photos up of what it looks like now.
What air filter housing do they have? like how many holes are in the side of the housing for pipes or are just blocked off.
What oil cap on rocker cover would it have?
All input would be appreciated.

I have some right rocker covers for it.
Is this the right OK stamp for a Dearborn engine?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:07:21 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 MACH1 Engine Bay Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »
First welcome to the site - we hope that it meets you concours related needs for your project or restoration

The car is a 11/69 Dearborn 351 cleveland built car. ...................
So the bay should be semi gloss black with slop gray hood hinge,shock mount?

No. Hood hinges and springs would have been phosphate and oil as were the front upper shock mounts.

There are a number of unrestored 70 Dearborn threads that will/should help with these generic details for that plant. Don't have to be the exact same engine combination for these details.

Hood latch support and a handful of other parts were a slop gray. Check the FAQs for this section for a list of those parts.

What air filter housing do they have? like how many holes are in the side of the housing for pipes or are just blocked off.

If you would include where your car was delivered to we can narrow down the answer to those questions

What oil cap on rocker cover would it have?

Large flat "cookie cutter" style breather with a plastic hose nipple attached

I have some right rocker covers for it.
Is this the right OK stamp for a Dearborn engine?

You sure that bottom one is correct?  Formed differently from the other and from others I have pictures of

Dearborn engines were built at the same place as they were for the other two plants so in this case the car assembly plant does not matter in this detail

Three different styles/layouts were used during 70 production from what I have. Most of the time I've found it on the passenger side valve cover and only on a couple on the drivers side. Is this from the original valve covers or ones you've purchased?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:13:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.
The car was delivered to Houston TX.
With the hood hinges and shock mounts being phosphate and oil would they look like this photo?

As for rocker covers no I am not sure if there the right ones for that year I just purchased them as 70's cleveland covers but I do think the light blue one is not right as it has the rocker oil deflector welded in it. The dark blue one would be the passenger side and have a PCV in the spot of the elbow. I thought the dark blue one would be a early cover since the US did not use the cleveland for very long.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:09:58 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:09:13 AM »
I have a 70 351 c heat shield & tube for the snorkel if you want to correct that.

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
I have a 70 351 c heat shield & tube for the snorkel if you want to correct that.
Pm sent.

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
looks like your snorkel is much more common 71 big opening for 2'' paper tube

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »
The valve covers with the oil drippers inside are the correct versions for your 70 motor. Later 351Cs did not have them.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:23:52 AM »
The valve covers with the oil drippers inside are the correct versions for your 70 motor. Later 351Cs did not have them.
Bugger I will have to keep a look out for another good valve cover.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »
Bugger I will have to keep a look out for another good valve cover.

check For Sale section
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 05:39:26 AM »
check For Sale section
Had a look but the ones just listed look to be just drives side covers.

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »
Is this transmission selector arm on the bottom of the steering column normally on manual cars or could it just be a automatic ford column been put in the car?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:53:30 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline Vcode

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:16:54 AM by Vcode »

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »
Should the grommet above the main wiring in the fire wall have something going through it or should it just be a blank plug?

My engine fan has a big gap between fan & shroud at the top and the bottom of the shroud is broken it looks like the engine sits to low do those engine mounts look right for a cleveland? I want to put a new fan shroud on.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:14:13 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »
Should the grommet above the main wiring in the fire wall have something going through it or should it just be a blank plug?

Believe it depends on what options, accessories, and other things the car was originally equipped with

My engine fan has a big gap between fan & shroud at the top and the bottom of the shroud is broken it looks like the engine sits to low do those engine mounts look right for a Cleveland? I want to put a new fan shroud on.

BTW the stater cable bracket should be attached to the end end of that upper rubber mount (at the block) not down at the bottom

As for the frame mounts I'll see if I have some pictures to share not sure if your going to be able to tell from just looking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
BTW the stater cable bracket should be attached to the end end of that upper rubber mount (at the block) not down at the bottom

Should the starter cable be between the motor mount & block or exhaust manifold & mount?