Author Topic: 70 MACH1 Engine Bay & Engine Questions  (Read 9989 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 MACH1 Engine Bay Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 05:13:34 PM »
Should the starter cable be between the motor mount & block or exhaust manifold & mount?

Looks like the cable (red arrow) goes over the motor mount and bracket to front top bolt (purple arrow) to you aftermarket starter :( LOL

The motor mounts you have are aftermarket also so no telling what they were designed for or what application they were made for

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 09:47:40 PM »
Looks like the cable (red arrow) goes over the motor mount and bracket to front top bolt (purple arrow) to you aftermarket starter :( LOL

The motor mounts you have are aftermarket also so no telling what they were designed for or what application they were made for.

Thanks for that jeff. Yeah the aftermarket starter was on it when I got the car I may change it back to a clapper starter. Jeff would you have any photos of the right PCV and grommet for the passengers valve cover?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:17:48 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
Thanks for that jeff. Yeah the aftermarket starter was on it when I got the car I may change it back to a clapper starter. Jeff would you have any photos of the right PCV and grommet for the passengers valve cover?

Should - let me find that tomorrow and follow up. Trying to catch up with all the threads here and elsewhere after this last weekend's trip

Just for my reference - car is a 11/69 Dearborn 351 cleveland built car.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:55 AM »
Should - let me find that tomorrow and follow up. Trying to catch up with all the threads here and elsewhere after this last weekend's trip

Just for my reference - car is a 11/69 Dearborn 351 cleveland built car.

Yes that is correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
............ would you have any photos of the right PCV and grommet for the passengers valve cover?

Not the greatest pictures (not the focus of the photo original) but hope they help

Thick big round grommet - replacement PCV and hoses

More original iMHO - preshaped/curved hose and appears to be original style PCV

Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »
Ok engine bay is just about stripped of its parts and ready for paint stripping and repair some screw holes and rust under battery tray.
But there are some questions on the paint finish on bay, Outer bay panels, Bottom of the chassis rails.The car looks to have had the engine bay painted before the outer panels not real sure on that maybe some one can tell me that from the photos and the bottom of the chassis rail looks old and hard to tell as well. Its a 1970 Mach1 11/69 Dearborn car.

Lets start with the bay it looks like it was painted black over bare metal then red oxide and then black again the first coat could be the original factory layer but not sure if the whole bays are red oxide first then satin blacked.

The top section of the firewall would it be satin black like the rest of the bay and would the black go all the way up to the windshield or does it stop just under the wiper panel and then its just the body colour to windshield?

With the outer panels the sound deadener is flaking off and under that it just looks like thin black paint. On the drivers side under one of the steering box bolts theres a small amount of yellow/gold over spray.
Would it just be all black with maybe a bit of over spray from the body been painted then the sound deadener over that? I know its a little hard to see but does the sound deadener spray pattern look to be right? I do have more photos if it helps.

Now the bottom of the chassis would it be just black or red oxide? I have cleaned some paint off and it just looks like black over bare metal?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:59:51 PM by Blown351stang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
Ok engine bay is just about stripped of its parts and ready for paint stripping and repair some screw holes and rust under battery tray.
But there are some questions on the paint finish on bay, Outer bay panels, Bottom of the chassis rails.The car looks to have had the engine bay painted before the outer panels not real sure on that maybe some one can tell me that from the photos and the bottom of the chassis rail looks old and hard to tell as well. Its a 1970 Mach1 11/69 Dearborn car.

Lets start with the bay it looks like it was painted black over bare metal then red oxide and then black again the first coat could be the original factory layer but not sure if the whole bays are red oxide first then satin blacked.

Looks to me from the picture that you have red oxide (likely only in some places and bare steel in others) them the engine compartment black over that. Top exposed color is really the main focus since its the coat you'll see on the finished product

The top section of the firewall would it be satin black like the rest of the bay and would the black go all the way up to the windshield or does it stop just under the wiper panel and then its just the body colour to windshield?

The top of the cowl - looks like possibly two different applications of black especially considering that all the mounting hardware for everything under the cowl cover is black and the engine compartment black was applied long before those items were installed

With the outer panels the sound deadener is flaking off and under that it just looks like thin black paint. On the drivers side under one of the steering box bolts theres a small amount of yellow/gold over spray.

Is the yellow gold (looks greenish on my monitor) a match to the exterior color? Easy to see that someone in the past got in those wheel wells with a black spray can covering things.

Would it just be all black with maybe a bit of over spray from the body been painted then the sound deadener over that? I know its a little hard to see but does the sound deadener spray pattern look to be right? I do have more photos if it helps.

Typically you will find the color from the bottom of the frame and from the firewall forward as a base (shot first) then body color from the guy applying that at Dearborn. They often painted forward to almost the rear edge of the shock tower, sometimes into the shock tower or to the forward edge - no mandatory place they had to stop. Because they seem to not have wanted to bend over on every car every time the edge is over tilted from the lower edge of spray forward and upward

Then the engine compartment sprayer did his job - inside of the engine walls, up and over the cowl, paint the radiator support (no identified specific order known) and they often wrapped the black around the edges onto the forward inner fender panels, on the outer surface.   How far back they applied (or downward towards the frame rail on the sides was their choice at the time. Sometimes they were covering markings applied earlier to the panels or spray outs applied there by the body paint guy.

Now the bottom of the chassis would it be just black or red oxide? I have cleaned some paint off and it just looks like black over bare metal?

Likely allot has worn off from exposure and surface rust that has developed on the thin application. Looks like there is allot more there to clean. Pockets and vertical surfaces on small areas facing rearward might provide the best resource for a look at the original color and product applied  Check inside the shock tower area also since the same product should be the base or above the red oxide if shot in there, in that area
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the clutch rod hole in the firewall size is? The car is a factory manual car but the rod seal that you can get for 67 -73 mustangs are to small for the hole. I can not see why the hole would of been made bigger or is it that the seal is really not right for its.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:15:45 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the clutch rod hole in the firewall size is? The car is a factory manual car but the rod seal that you can get for 67 -73 mustangs are to small for the hole. I can not see why the hole would of been made bigger or is it that the seal is really not right for its.

Just for comparison here is another example

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
Just for comparison here is another example

FYI don't forget the foam gasket behind the power booster as is illustrated in Jeff's picture. It is commonly forgotten.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »
FYI don't forget the foam gasket behind the power booster as is illustrated in Jeff's picture. It is commonly forgotten.

Thanks Bob yes I do have a foam gasket when its ready to go back together.

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »
While I have been stripping the bay I have come across some factory markings.

I do not know what this means.

I am guessing that maybe a Vermilion colour car was painted before this one.

I see 142.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:20:54 AM by Blown351stang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 01:17:47 AM »
While I have been stripping the bay I have come across some factory markings.

I do not know what this means.

Likely first rotation number - Matches well with all the other Dearborn car we see

I see 142.

Second rotation number

Believe the label is from a light assembly that fell off or stuck to a worker so he stuck it there rather than throwing it on the floor
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 04:21:52 AM »
Likely first rotation number - Matches well with all the other Dearborn car we see

Second rotation number

Believe the label is from a light assembly that fell off or stuck to a worker so he stuck it there rather than throwing it on the floor

Thanks Jeff your a man of knowledge I hope you put this all in a book one day.

Offline specialed

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 09:48:30 AM »
never seen the rh lh stickers on apron tops & I had them made as they go on 70 gold sidemarker retainers under fenders &would have thought they would have already stuck on the retainers  also they go on  inside trunk black plastic side light retainers & they are both red & black letters depending on front or rear retainers