Author Topic: Lower Side Stripe  (Read 1307 times)

Offline asusnz

Lower Side Stripe
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »
For the lower side stripe - was this originally painted on or was a stripe/decal applied?

I've attached a picture that looks like a decal has been applied. I've seen on the 429mustangcougar website a few pictures that show a stripe but many cars that have been repainted/restored have just painted this stripe on.

I have seen this kit:
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/lower_stripe_kit_argent_dual-143566-1.html

Wondering what came from the factory?

Offline nham3407

Re: Lower Side Stripe
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »
There is a stripe decal at the top of the lower rocker paint. This was used to even up the transition from body color to rocker color.  The rocker color was shot first and then masked for the body color. Sometime the masking was a bit wavy so this helped to even it out. The kits with the lower stripe are correct. And they are a bugger to keep glued down where they wrap around into the wheel well. I ended up using some weatherstrip adhesive on the back of the decal bending into the wheel well.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Lower Side Stripe
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
Yes  Original has 3/4 inch (lower) seperated by 1/4 and 1/4 top strip.   The one I'm holding is NOS Ford for ARGENT trim.

If anyone has Black and wants to trade let me know.

Mark
P.S. Will take to Chicago today
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969