Author Topic: C6 Transmission -71 M Code Shaft  (Read 4372 times)

Offline GTSpecial39

C6 Transmission -71 M Code Shaft
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
I have a 71 Mach 1, 351c, "M" code with a C6 tranny. My issue is that the previous owner had a trk tranny in it and the shifter on the the trans. is for a column shift and am trying to find the right one and wonder if anyone can send me a good pic of it, or a part number so I can attempt to find the right one to get it back to where I want it, original.  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:46:24 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: C6 Transmission -71 M Code Shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
Appears to be the piece

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GTSpecial39

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the pics, they look like what I am looking for, don't suppose you can get a part # or know where I can find one.  I am getting the Mach 1 where I want it, but some things are hard to find, but I don't get up easy ;)  Thanks again for the pics and hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy new Year!!!
GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »
Base number for the part from a later MPC is 7A256 but there is no listing for specific part by Ford in that version suggesting that it was not serviced (available through Ford) for very long. Others may be able to find soemthing in an earlier version but that doesn't mean you can find one

Unfortunately the rebuilding of automatics has not gotten the same attention as 4 speed where there are multiple well know shops that do them across the country each having their share of extra and available parts. Short of finding someone that will part out a transmission for the donor part not sure where to start other than finding a good auto parts house that can look up who supplies the hard parts for these transmission and see if they might be still available though a none Ford supplier. Always surprising what is still available new. Just have to find someone willing to dig a little and knows how to use parts books

Good luck with your efforts and Merry Christmas to you and yours this Holiday season
Jeff Speegle

Offline GTSpecial39

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
Jeff, I appreciate the info you have provided.  I will do more research and see what I can find.  It may take me awhile to reply at times, I drive a truck and have problems at times out here on the road getting an internet connection, but I will eventually.  Back at you with the Christmas and New Years wishes!!  :)
Gary

Offline GTSpecial39

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »
Jeff, I put a APB out for the part and transmission on a couple nationwide parts sites.  The part # is correct but there is a prefix number that determines the vehicle it goes with and that is what I am trying to find out now.  Do you have any suggestions for "shining up the engine compartment and also what is best to get the chrome moldings around the windshield and the rest od the chrome polished up real nice?  This is a daily driver but still would like to be competitive at car shows ;)  Thanks again!!
Gary

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
I will stay out of the transmission dialogue unless you need further assistance from others.

On the shine up the engine bay question I am unclear what you mean there.  Based upon the forum I assume you are going back to original.  Not much shine from the factory in 71-73.  I will include a picture of my engine bay for any assistance it could offer.  Just as a reference it did take gold at its first MCA show in St. Augustine this year.

On the window trim, it is anodized aluminum so it does not take to polishing being directly removed from the car. You will need to get the anodizing off, have it polished and then re-anodize or seal it.  There are several aluminum sealers (Shark Hide) that are designed for the marine environment that hold up well and just wipe onto the polished material.  I did not re-anodize mine as I plan to maintain them regularly and seal them between cleanings.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »
............ Do you have any suggestions for "shining up the engine compartment and also what is best to get the chrome moldings around the windshield and the rest of the chrome polished up real nice?  This is a daily driver but still would like to be competitive at car shows ;)  Thanks again!!
Gary

They never were shinny - the car maker wouldn't want a shinny surface around windows due to the problems with driving and bright reflections. Only way I know of to get them looking as they were when new is to have them straightened, polished and recoated. Not cheap but since you have a 71 don't think there are any reproduction options for you. Did the strip and polish route with my 71 and though it looks nice you have to stay up with it a little and it just doesn't look factory

No short cut or easy button on this one
Jeff Speegle

Offline GTSpecial39

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »
Jeff, again, thanks for the reply and help.  In reference to the tranny, if you do come across one that has the right lever on it, I would be interested in getting the whole tranny if that's what it takes to get it right.  In the engine compartment, I do realize that it isn't going to shine, just trying to get it all nice and clean to look better that it does.  On the trim, will see what I can do with it too.  This car was gold originally and whoever painted it black(which I like), didn't do a good job with the clear coat and buffing it out. It has an "orange peel" effect and I am taking it to someone that says he can wet sand it down and get the shine that it should have and will see what he can do with the trim.  I am impressed with what you did with your car  and hope mine will get to that point someday ;)  I do like the color of yours too!!  Enjoy, thanks again and will be in touch.
Gary

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »
are you absolutely sure you want to get rid of the 'orange peel'?
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 12:18:46 AM »
Not to get off thread too much 0 or for too long. 

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
This car was gold originally and whoever painted it black(which I like), didn't do a good job with the clear coat and buffing it out. It has an "orange peel" effect and I am taking it to someone that says he can wet sand it down and get the shine that it should have and will see what he can do with the trim. 
Gary,
"Orange peel" is a desired surface effect. I have to use a 2 X 4 on painters to get orange peel, even a small area. I can appreciate a mirror like finish on a new car (or a "resto-mod") but not for 64-73 Mustangs, or other Fords of that era.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
Appears to be the piece

Please note that the lower picture is of a manual control linkage without provision for the steering lock out rod. So it would be for 1969 or earlier.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
Please note that the lower picture is of a manual control linkage without provision for the steering lock out rod. So it would be for 1969 or earlier.

Thought my 71 had three arms (selection, kick down and lock out) Will have to see if I took pictures.

The one provided was sent to me as the correct one but didn't question my source  :o Do you have a picture of another Scott??
Jeff Speegle

Offline GTSpecial39

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
Well, not having much luck in finding the right lever that I can get the NSS, kickdown rod, and linkage hooked up.  I have even been looking for even the right transmission with it already on it and no luck there yet.  Will keep trying though :)